Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon me while I prove how much of a newbie I am...

I see that a lot of people here make their own lines by cutting up other lines. They add heads, remove tips, change running lines, etc.

Ummmm.... How come?

I love trying new gear just as much as anyone else but why cut up new lines to build some custom line? Are there that many people doing line design, or are people just tinkering?

Personally I like to fish. I can see why the folks at the line manufacturers spend time cutting up lines to create new designs but I have trouble understanding why I would want to do something like that. I'd rather just buy a line to match my rod and abilities, wind it on a reel and go fish.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Geoff,

Perhaps we cut up lines because we are never satisfied :D

All kidding aside, most modifications happen for a reason aside from simple tinkering. Many people, myself included, cut lines to allow use of sinktips. Most lines come as full floaters and for floater work, they rarely need to be cut-up. If you are swinging tips though for winter fishing, you need to cut back the line to a point where the taper has enough mass to turn over the tip.

Then you have the great lines that the Skagit boys have developed and fished for years. Until very recently, these lines were not commercially available anywhere.

Finally you have the hardcore tinkers who add some additional running line becasue they cast too far or lengthen the belly on their XLT or Grandspey for the same reason.

It is not easy to take a pair of scissors to a brand new line but with practice, it does get easier.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
sinktip said:
It is not easy to take a pair of scissors to a brand new line but with practice, it does get easier.
I always have a big smile on my face when I cut up a new line when someone is watching, it's fun looking at there face when I do it :hihi:

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Geoff, the wide variety of commercially available lines today wasn't always there. As little as 5 years ago the choices were surprisingly limited and cutting was nearly the rule, not the exception. Its been pretty amazing to witness the experimenting and suggestions of ISC / speypages board members push the envelope.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, that makes sense. (Especially a few years ago when there were very few lines available.) I'm going to be fishing relatively shallow water so I'll be using a floating line.

So what do you do when you screw up and realize that you've cut wrong? :whoa: Make a couple small loops and splice it back together? Or just dig into your pocket and pull out another $75?

What do you do with the extra pieces? Throw them out? Or save them and use them to modify another line?

You guys are brave. I'd have a hard time cutting into an expensive line.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Depends

on how badly you have missed the cut. If it is close you go ahead and use it. You can splice back in the piece you cut without a loop. I put a loop in, just for the sink tip applications. I will sometimes use loops when it is a new rod and I am finding out the size ieces needed.

By all means keep the pieces, as they will find a use somewhere. Unless you are like Brian anc cut up enough lines that you always have the right pieces.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
t_richerzhagen said:
Geoff - here is a description on speypages. There is more coming with video from Brian Simonseth. It is really nice to have someone show you how to do it though.
http://www.speypages.com/custom_lines.htm
Hey, that's slick! I need to get one of those pin vises. Looks like a trip to Michael's. :saeek:

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
baldmountain said:
Hey, that's slick! I need to get one of those pin vises. Looks like a trip to Michael's. :saeek:
What the heck is a Michael's? Sure don't have any of those here in Skidrow. A good ViseGrip is all you need.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KerryS said:
What the heck is a Michael's? Sure don't have any of those here in Skidrow. A good ViseGrip is all you need.
It's a store no self respecting male would be caught dead in except to buy fly tying stuff.

It's a huge craft superstore filled with plastic flowers, baskets, ribbon. Craft stuff. When you go to a craft fair with your wife, most of the stuff there came in pieces from Michael's.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Geoff

I use a pin vise made by General (USA). It works very well, much better than vise grips. It will make the task easier.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
You don't need Michael's...

Any welding supply store sells tip cleaners that come in a pin vise container.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Pin Vise

Like Ted said General (with the Black handle) is the best I've found for a low cost vise.

I've went though several of them over the years, the one I have now has a 1/4 inches drill motor vice on it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Brian Simonseth said:
Like Ted said General (with the Black handle) is the best I've found for a low cost vise.

I've went though several of them over the years, the one I have now has a 1/4 inches drill motor vice on it.
Just got back from Sears. I saw the General with large black handle. (I think it was a General.) I decided to go with a smalller one that comes as a precision drill set. Looks like a mechanical pencil that will hold very small drills and pins. I chose that one because it is going to double as a dubbling needle. The General was too big to use as a fly tying tool. I assume I don't need a huge amount of force and the General seemed like overkill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts