Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Delta Spey 9/10 I want to cut for use with tips. Anyone recommend where to cut it. This is the regular line not the long.
Thanks.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Cutting the Delta

I would cut it the same place the factory line is cut which is 15'.
I agree with Peter, the poly leaders work well right off the end of the floater.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tips

Peter,
I use a series of sink tips from 5' to 20' depending on water depth. I'll make them from LC13 or T-14 or whatever. i've done this with mid-spey lines with no real issues. I like the air-flo line and would like to make it more versatile.

Jim

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
The line diameter just above the loop on a 9/10 Delta spey is .068. If I were going to throw anchor chain I personally would want to cut at a heavier diameter. You could always call Tim Rajeff at 1-866-347-4359. What diameter was the Midspey chopped at where you used 20' of LC13?

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
the "grains" point is a good one, though by my experience with other lines, I've found that a rod well matched to 15' 9 wt tips can usually cast and turnover 20' of LC13 just fine. But, you must slow down the casting stroke and let the butt section do the work.
On the other hand, if you expect to cast LC13 as your main tip most of the time, then by all means match the grains for that use.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cutting delta spey

Thank-you for your opinions and advice. I'll try the heads on the water before cutting. I rarely use 20' so we'll see what happens.
I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Jim

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Rajeff's website details where the front taper ends on the Long Delta-that transition point is where you want to cut it for standard sinktips.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy Ryan, So you are saying to cut the line at 30.5' from the tip? Which would be about the same as a WC with the center section (tip 2?) and tip 1 removed. I could see that for the anchor chain tips. I'm not disagreeing with you just trying to clarify in my own mind what I think you are saying. Rajeff has always told me to cut at 15' but that was for using standard Airflo tips matched to the line. Take care, MJC
PS, Or are you saying to measure 35.5' from the back end on the Delta which would be 20' from the tip? Which sounds alright to me.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear.

If you scroll down the page, you will see the specs for where to cut the line based upon the 'front taper-sink'.

...and for the Delta Spey 9/10 it is 15'. ;)

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
You were probably clear enough for most people but my old brain is getting a little foggy. Maybe I'll walk down to my old truck and take a deep breath of "old" diesel fumes. That should perk me up. Take care, MJC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts