Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the thread already out there on cutting a Carron but since I'm getting ready to do so, and a little nervous about it, I was wondering if anyone else out there can share some reccomendations or experience with cutting a 10/11 carron back for tips.

Thanks
Gillie

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
I hear TAPS playing in the background as a good soldier is being laid to rest. I would consider buying something else to cut, like a Snobee 3D. I believe it costs alot less than a replacement Carron. :saevilw: :chuckle: :)

Vinnie

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,499 Posts
I think I was sufficiently trashed in the other post but for those those that missed it. I cut my 10/11 back 13'. I was happy with it but think 14' would be a touch better. When a good friend got his, I cut it back 14" for him. He seems happy.

If you look for old posts by Speyman, you will see where he posted about the qualities of cutting one back. I believe at the time, he told me how he saw no reason to cut back over 12'. He kept silent the last time this was brought up so either he has changed his mind or didn't want to risk the wrath of the "thou shall not cut a Jetstream" cult :lildevl:

For frame of reference, mine is used primarily on a 1509-3 T&T with 15' Rio or Airflo tips in Type III, VI and VII. Type VIII tips and T14 I throw off of a cutback 11/12 Jetstream on a 1510-5 T&T.

Its only money!

·
Registered
239 Posts
For what it's worth, although I wouldn't know where to put tips on a Carron line, but I can say that the core used in the line is ideal for splicing. Andrew Toft asked me to splice some braided mono core saltwater shooting line to the back of his line during the qualifying heats, and it was a lot easier than splicing into the core of an XLT. The PVC coating on the line seems softer, the core is less dense, and the splice turned out really sweet.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be for a Loomis Greased Line 15' 9/10. I am definitely concious of the fact that it is a great line and it borders on insanity to be taking scissors to it.

The set up is for late winter when the temps are so cold that the WC and skagit method for delivering tips just becomes to ice bound with the stripping.

My rational is that if it is such a nice floating line it should make one of the best sink tip set ups also. I'm just doing a lot of homework before I acually commit to it :Eyecrazy: :whoa: .

Gillie

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,991 Posts
Gillie, Why not try cutting back an xlt, it would be cheaper and works awsome with tips for pick and cast fishing like you want to do.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bruce,
The 100 foot head length on the larger XLT has always intimidated me. The 75' on the Carron seemed more managable to me.

How does the XLT function with only ~75 feet out ? If you knew you were going to fish mostly in that distance would you go up a size ?

I could alwats keep my Carron for floating work only and build up an XLT.

Gillie

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Before you slice and dice your Carron, buy a couple Rio's 12' Salmon Powerflex Core Sinking leaders and try them. They work very well with the Carron Jet Stream and eliminate the need of slicing and dicing in most waters.

Powerflex® Core Sinking Leaders
7 ft (2.1 m) and 12 ft sinking leaders with a high tenacity nylon core coated with a super low modulus tungsten polymer mixture. Leaders have little memory or coiling, great turnover plus shock absorption for fish fighting. Powerflex core sinking leaders come in Trout (12 lb) or Salmon (24 lb) and feature an ultra smooth welded loop making it easy to connect to the fly line. Just add RIO tippet material.
Sink rates: 1.5 ips (3.7 cm/s), 2.6 ips (6.6 cm/s) 3.9 ips (9.9 cm/s), 5.6 ips (14.2 cm/s), 7.0 ips (17.8 cm/s)

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Gillie said:
Bruce,
The 100 foot head length on the larger XLT has always intimidated me. The 75' on the Carron seemed more managable to me.

How does the XLT function with only ~75 feet out ? If you knew you were going to fish mostly in that distance would you go up a size ?

Gillie
Depends on the rod. I have an Altmoor S that I throw a 10/11 xlt on. It works great at all fishable distance (35 and up). In fact it starts to feel a little funny as you approach the whole head. It handles it, it just changes the rod action.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would cut an XLT before destroying a Carron Line. If you hit the search function for XLT's you will find the cut points, the tip on a 9/10 needs to be cut at about 24-25' according to the article. If memory serves me, (some days suffer from CRS) Way developed the line for winter fishing with tips. If you take a mike to the line you will find that it better suits tip work than a Carron. Only one mans opinion.

Leroy..................
THCI
G.Loomis Pro Staff

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I will say I have cast Duggan's cut Carrons and they cast great. Better than you might think. Easy to splice back together if something bad happens but I think you will be happy with the results. Especially since it sounds like you folks long dry line time is quite limited in the Great Lakes so why let the carron sit on the shelf all year?

Also if you go buy an XLT that is another $75 expense so it actually is more expensive to not cut the carron :lildevl:

-sean

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sean,

That is very much my current train of thought. If I fish sink tips 80% + of the year, why not have the nicest sink tip line I can build ? I added this rod to my collection for the sole purpose of delivering sink tips at a distance.

That is really my motivation for this project.

For dry line fishing I am eyeing the Loomis 8/9 Greased Line. For that I would get a Carron but wouldn't cut it in order to preserve the casting qualities of it for greased line work.

That's not to say I won't eventually go the XLT route also, you can never have too many lines :hihi: .

I found some of the old threads where speyman talks about his experience with cutting a carron. These were helpful also. Once I finally do the deed I'll post my experiences with the line and whether I think it was worth it.

If your out east before the salmon river clave you should stop over, I'll hopefully have her put together by then.

Gillie

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Grampa Spey said:
Before you slice and dice your Carron, buy a couple Rio's 12' Salmon Powerflex Core Sinking leaders and try them. They work very well with the Carron Jet Stream and eliminate the need of slicing and dicing in most waters.

Powerflex® Core Sinking Leaders
7 ft (2.1 m) and 12 ft sinking leaders with a high tenacity nylon core coated with a super low modulus tungsten polymer mixture. Leaders have little memory or coiling, great turnover plus shock absorption for fish fighting. Powerflex core sinking leaders come in Trout (12 lb) or Salmon (24 lb) and feature an ultra smooth welded loop making it easy to connect to the fly line. Just add RIO tippet material.
Sink rates: 1.5 ips (3.7 cm/s), 2.6 ips (6.6 cm/s) 3.9 ips (9.9 cm/s), 5.6 ips (14.2 cm/s), 7.0 ips (17.8 cm/s)
I'm with 'Gramps' on this one; what does a new carron line cost? About Two Hundred Buckeroo's if memory serves. I've used sinking leaders of 5, 7 and 10 foot off both the Carron and the XLT. All worked like a charm, save for the 6/7 XLT with a sinker over 5 foot.

Forgot to add: I do not directly attach the sinking leader to the end of the fly line. I'll insert a three or four foot "butt section" of 30# maxima (which you probably already have on the end of your fly line anyway) via loop on end of maxima to loop on end of sinking leader.

All-be-it this arrangement sounds like it shoul 'hinge like heck,' it doesn't AND THE GOOD PART is the leader section acts like a RIO Compensator allowing you to take full advantage of the sinking portion without pulling under your fly line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts