Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you cut a 8/9 Grandspey for tips? I know from some of the old posts, that someone has done it already. Would appreciate the info.
JFK

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
nevada caster,

Cut the all of the GrandSpeys (at least the 8/9, 9/10, and 10/11) 15 1/2 of 16 feet from the very tip of the line. Then put loops on the ends. I'm not sure about the new 7/8 GrandSpey, but I suspect it should be cut at the same point as well.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Same question, different line

I asked Way Yin this very question at the Kauffman's clave yesterday as Steve Choate was demonstrating how to cast an 8/9 Sci. Anglers XLT halfway back to Everett. Way suggested cutting that line at 27 feet from the tip, depending somewhat on how heavy a sinking tip one wants to use. And he said that the cutoff point would vary with the size of the XLT; a 7/8 XLT has a shorter forward taper to begin with. Way added that the XLT is designed to be used as is as a dry line, with no tip-trimming needed.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
A bit of a re-hash here on cutting the xlt's.

I'd recommend against cutting the line as it's really not necessary. I use either the RIO or Airflo "salmon" sinking leaders (12' or 7' respectively) by putting a 3-4 foot of maxima main line "dropper" directly off the tip, tie a loop the end of the "dropper;" the sinking leader has a built in loop for a connector (they come in several different sink rates), then a 2-3 foot tippet off the end. For line wts of 9 and above the 'dropper' off the line tip will be 25#, for 8's and down, 20# material. Maxima main line is stiff enough that you don't get a hinge effect and you do get a great 'power transfer' straight out to the fly.

The "rig" sounds silly but it casts like a rocket and you still get all the benefits of a sinking tip AND the mendability of a full dry line. Actually, this rig is far easier to control than a standard sink tip.
fae

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Braided Loop

I use a braided loop to the polyleaders and it works great. I like it better than the maxima Fred uses.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sinking leader in liew of singing tips

Fred, How deep do you thing that you can fish with your setup? I often fish these leaders attached with a braided loop as does Ted, but I am convinced that it does not get down very deep, and it does not stay down very long. If I really want to get down, or I want it to stay down well through the swing, I usually fish and tip AND a leader. The new Rio "sinktip compensator " kind of does the same. If you are holding one end of the leader up at the surface with a floating line, the other end is not going to get very deep. Nor will it stay down during the swing (unless the water is very slow, or you never clean your floating line so it sinks too!). Does the four or 5 feet of Maxima allow the high end to get down?
JFK

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Sinking leader in liew of singing tips

nevada caster said:
Fred, How deep do you thing that you can fish with your setup? I often fish these leaders attached with a braided loop as does Ted, but I am convinced that it does not get down very deep, and it does not stay down very long. If I really want to get down, or I want it to stay down well through the swing, I usually fish a tip AND a leader. The new Rio "sinktip compensator " kind of does the same. If you are holding one end of the leader up at the surface with a floating line, the other end is not going to get very deep. Nor will it stay down during the swing (unless the water is very slow, or you never clean your floating line so it sinks too!). Does the four or 5 feet of Maxima allow the high end to get down?
JFK

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Grand Speys are cut at....

Fifteen feet I have both the 8/9 and the 9/10 I must say that I have had a great deal of pleasure fishing with them and can't imagine going back to DT's. They will throw the type8 (8ips) sink tips in several sizes larger than the line (ie 8/9 with 11wt 15' type 8). I'm sure there are other soloutions but I got lucky and asked Dave at Waters West where the factory cut was he said 15' so I did it there. Works for me as Flytyer stated it reaches out to 100' with ease.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Per Rio

I don't have any direct experience yet but have asked Rio where to cut 'em as I have a couple of floaters on the way that I plane to use with my existing tips. Rio said to cut them at 15 feet.

pescaphile

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Simon Gawesworth, said all Rio Grandspey's were made to be cut at 15 feet back from the tip of the line, to install loops for fishing sink tips. I made my cut 16 feet back on my 8/9, as did fly tyer on his 10/11, and I think we can both say that this line rocks for casting tips! 15 feet of leadcore? The line doesn't even flinch! Just make sure you install a reasonable loop connection and you're set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts