Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved a 7/8 XLT as a gift and was wondering where to cut it to attach some tips. Do people use this line for tips or mainly as a floater. I have a grandspey and i love throwing tips with it, so i'm hoping this line does the same.

CDG

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I cut mine at 22' per Way's recommendation and yes these are great lines for tips - I use tips alot with my 7/8 xlt on a Scott 1287 and it is a truly wonderful fishing set up!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
cutting a 7/8 XLT for tips

CDG:

Dana asked me to post a reply to your query. I would agree with Malcolm and Rick's posts; when developing this line, I thought putting loops for tips at 22 feet worked best for my style of fishing. I have fished 10-18 foot tips in weights up to 165 grains at this cut point, mostly on the Deschutes.

At the higher grain weights, and depending on the taper of your sink tip, you may notice some hinging, but provided the technique is there, you shouldn't have much trouble turning it over.

Good luck, tight lines, and I hope you enjoy the line!

Way Yin

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 7/8 XLT, also, that I was using on an old 9140-4 brownie. On the advice of the vetrans on this board, I cut it at 22 feet and bought the pre-made RIO tips, Type 3 and Type 6 in 7 weight. They seemed to work fine, (though I've since gotten a newer rod and am using a different line, so I haven't put in a lot of time with the XLT.)

The line might handle heavier tips, 8 weight tips would still only be 120 grains. But I was worried about hinging so I played it safe and got 7 weight tips.

(FWIW, For the short time I used it, I thought it was a terrific line. I have it all spooled up and ready to go as soon as I get a Scott 1287!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys for responding so rapidly, i can't wait to get it on the river and take it for a test run. Now if i could just get some warmer weather, it hasn't sniffed 30 degrees here in a week or so.

CDG

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey CDG...

Is it you that is sending all that damned white stuff down here to the Clearwater. If this keeps up the "Red Shed" will be the "White Shed".

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MJC,
Yep, it's me, and you can keep it :devil: !!!! I have some serious cabin fever going on, it's been so damn cold here i haven't even been able to get out and cast. Oh big surprise, guess what is in the forecast, snow and arctic air.:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts