Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if I can use a standard floating midspey line to throw Rio's standard 15' sink tips. I have the sink tips from a windcutter multi-tip line (7,8,9) and a mid-spey floating line (8,9). Can I use this midspey line with these tips? Will I need to modify/cut the midspey in order to make these tips cast well on this line. Or am I just going to have to take this thing out on the water and see what happens?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
You will need to cut the MS at around the 15' mark and put in a loop - I have customized many of my lines including a Mid Spey, Long Delta and an XLT and use tips from an old Accelerator and an old Widcutter that came with tips

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I was just doing same today, and noted that on the Rio site (spey line specifications) they list the loop point as Rick pointed out, at 15 feet.

So is this to say that a Rio 15 foot tip is equivalent in grains to the original floating section?

If not, what are the comparisons in grain weight?

(man I wish I had a grain scale!)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
ChromeFever,

As the multi-tip concept is relatively new, cutting floaters has been a time honoured practice for years. By all means cut the Mid Spey at 15', attach a loop and add the tip(s) of choice. The tips you have should match very well.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
cheap grain scale

Juro, any place that mails or ships stuff (any office, any Mailboxes Etc outlet) will have a digital postal scale that weighs things in grams. The conversion is

1 gram=15.43 grains

The office staff where I work has gotten used to me putting coiled sink tips and fly lines on our scale, or when I'm shipping something I take along my lines to Mailboxes and use their scale.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Chromefever, like others hereing said, cut the MidSpey at 15 ft and put in a loop on both sections of the line. The tips from the 7/8/9 Windcutter will work just fine on the 8/9 MidSpey. If you want to buy other tips, the RIO 8 weight tips will be the ticket regardless of the sink rate you choose.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
ChromeFever

The tips in the Tip1 position of a WC7.8.9 weigh 109 grains.

The tips in the Tip1 position of a MS8.9 weigh 129 grains.

The MS8.9 will turn over your set of 109 grain tips with ease.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Community College

Juro,
If you have a friend who reloads, or a community college close by with a chemistry lab, either should be able to help with the weighing.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What's the best loop to install, and how do you do it? I have some line surgery to do too and the flyshops around here have not been very helpful with the loops.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I have my own preferences, as I am sure many do. This is the method I have been using for 15 years and I haven't come up with a better one albeit some may be a little quicker to install. These loops have outlived the lines they were put on many times. I once had the tip snag on basalt rock underwater and the rock cut the tip in half while the loop was still in perfect condition.

They come apart easily even after such compression as well because of the in-line core of the line inside the braided nylon, and they don't cover a length of flyline which doesn't really buy you anything once you nail knot the end.

I am sure others have their favorite loops, I came up with this one after being dissatisfied with store boughts and have not had a need to change since.

Hope it helps!

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/expertise/steelhead/lines/tipsystem.htm

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Another very easy loop to make that is also extremely durable:
1) take some braided mono of 30#-50# test; 2) cut a piece about 5 or 6 inches long; 3) double it over the end of the line where you wish to place the loop; 4) nail knot the two ends that are lying along side the line with 2 nail knots made from 10# or 12# tippet to the fly line; 5) wrap the braided mono and fly line with heavy tying thread (flat waxed nylon is my favorite) from the end of the fly line to about 1/16th inch beyond where the end of the braided mono stops and whip finish it; and 6) coat the loop, and the thread covered line/braided mono combination with aquaseal thinned with cotol.

The is the method I have been using since 1981 and I have never had a loop fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts