Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to construct a set of tips with uniform weight as per the Ed Ward method. However, rather than use t-14, I would like to use t-8 (8 gr/ft) and instead of using floating level line, I would like to use intermediate sinking line. Anybody have a suggestion on where I can locate untapered intermediate line which is roughly 8 grains/foot or something roughly equivalent that would work with t-8.
thanks.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
intermediate line

See if you can find some Rio sink tip compensators. Local store was closing them out at abuckapiece. They are all gone now. :(

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think you can probably use the belly of an intermediate DT or WF fly line. At 8 gr/ft you need 240 gr/30 ft which I think is about 9-wt (double check fly line standards). That would be a starting point. A digital line scale would be a good way to check, just weigh the belly section of an 9 or 10 wt. and figure in ~ 8 grains/ft for the front taper. That will get you "close enough for government work". You can find heavier intermediate fly lines on sale pretty frequently so hopefully you won't need to pop for a $60 fly line, I think I saw some intermediate spey lines at Sierra Trading post in Reno recently maybe some regular fly lines, too.

Also be careful some of the intermediate lines are mono core, it might change your ability to splice.

Good luck on this. Maybe someone has a cheaper alternative but this one should work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tip,
picked up an 11 wt intermediate spey line for 11 bucks.:Eyecrazy:
We'll see how that works.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Acquired the materials, now I'm ready to make some tips.
the 11 wt intermediate line (dacron core) is about 12.8 grains/ft and the t-8 (mono core) is 8.6 grains/foot so I should be able to construct some equal length tips with about relatively equal weights. They won't be perfect but probably good enough.

Now I am looking for some suggestions on how I might splice these tips together. I was hoping to go a very simple route and just use braided mono with wraps to hold them together, but the intermediate line is too big for 30lb braided mono and the t-8 to small for 50lb braided mono.

Any suggestions on how I might proceed would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I blind splice the sinking tip material into the cheater material. The sinktip material usually has mono core, which strips off easily. I rough up the mono and do the normal blind splice into about an inch of the cheater material. I think there are decent directions available on this site if you search.

Carl

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Mike,

I just did the same thing. I went from a level 10wt Int. to T8. I ran into the same problem. I slid 2in of so of 30lb braid onto the T8 and coated it with a thin coat of Aquaseal and let it dry, to thicken it up. I then used the 50lb for the final job. Seems to have come out good. I always "tack" the two lines together with crazy glue before I put the braid over them.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Great tip...

Mike,

I just did the same thing. I went from a level 10wt Int. to T8. I ran into the same problem. I slid 2in of so of 30lb braid onto the T8 and coated it with a thin coat of Aquaseal and let it dry, to thicken it up. I then used the 50lb for the final job. Seems to have come out good. I always "tack" the two lines together with crazy glue before I put the braid over them.
again, Speypages 'pays' for itself in spades! I was about to post a similar question about how to overcome the bonding of 2 different diameters of line sections, and here we are.

Thanks Jamie.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts