• I splice so much that my lines resemble coral snakes

Votes: 13 20.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
loco alto!
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rivers are blown again!

so, do you use custom lines for your fishing?

A custom line can mean a few things. A modest snipping and looping of a floater for tips. Dialing in a line to a rod by snipping backwards (skagit) or forwards (scando) from the end. To flat-out splicing custom lines, or using lines spliced for you.

Lots of use have experimented with them, but do you use them for real fishing?

·
Registered
640 Posts
pretty much all the lines I fish with have been modified to some degree. Most have been modified to work with a specific rod or a certain river. The only ones I have not felt the need to alter are the Carron floaters, I have been tempted but had a change of heart.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,552 Posts
Aw c`mon Brian you know they can be better :cool:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Until

fairly recently, if you wanted a Skagit system it had to be custom. I have only one commerical tip system, the rest I cut and loop. Also, if you want a Skagit system for a trout spey, it is in some sense custom (belly section of WC or completely custom).

·
Banned
974 Posts
I am newish to spey. With the current line offerings I have had no reason to cut. I probably won't ever cut a line unless someone who I know knows lines directs me and there is a compelling reason to.

David

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Big reason

to cut is for tips. Brian Simonseth's method is fairly easy and results in a bombproof loop that I prefer to the factory ones, at least to date. It also allows you to build your own tips from shooting tapers and other interesting trials.

Do I need to? No way, but it saves me money and I enjoy myself.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Never Satisfied

I always seem to be tweaking lines and or tips in some way shape or form. I am sure that if I had to I could stop and buy everything already made up. But what fun would that be............:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I mainly use one line- a carron 85'er, 10/11. I've never cut it but often use poly-tips, apart from this I use a home made s/h, and a couple more carrons and D/T's:eek: I used to use a standard mastery (the xlt's wee bro') but it was too short, so it is going to be used by my mum!!!!:hihi:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.