Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - A few years back I helped my dad clean out his garage in exchange for a number of hand me down fishing rods. One of them is a bamboo fly rod in not great shape but possibly repairable. It probably belonged to my great grandfather!

The rod is a 9', 3 section, with octagonal shaped blank. Several eyes are missing and there must be something missing for the reel seat. The tip section is slightly bent. I'm attaching a couple pictures and invite any conversation on the province of this rod.

Attachments

·
Registered
Beulah switch, OPST micro skagit w/ Marquis, Echo DH w/ Alex Martin
119 Posts
It also seems to be missing the bottom part where your 2nd hand goes;)
Seriously, if it is your grandfather's or part of your family history you have to restore it regardless of how valuable it actually is or what ends up being (hopefully) a reasonable repair cost.

·
Bamboo Rod Maker
338 Posts
Most defects in a bamboo rod can be repaired. They have to be pretty well wrecked to not be repairable. In my shop, a complete overhaul has been in the $300.00 to $350.00 range on the outside. Depends on what is done to them. Without having the rod in hand, it is impossible to say for sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.