Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just past derwentwater lies Bassenthwaite Lake ,the outflow of which I have recently fished , a good fly casting beat of medium size ,every cast requiring attention to get the best fly tracking .
wading was very safe at the height of water we had .
Its in England so no sunday close ,the beat is reasonably priced compared with say the Tweed at the backend .
well worth a look from UK salmon fishers who are stuck to weekend fishing like myself most of the year .:smokin:

·
Registered
43 Posts
cumbrian derwent

i fished cumbrian derwent mid sept and 2 years running have left after 2 days when booked for a week, in both years low water. this year was worst as very low and full of algae, quite hopeless! there were other poor saps who had booked and paid persevering with removing algae after every cast. i was amused to see spey men in full chest waders [30c] standing in 6" of water casting full rig into 18" of algae soup with 15' rods. you've got to be very lucky in river. we were on egremont water just below cockermouth. i was a guest both times but i dont think its expensive. paul

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had had Rain

If that makes sense ,wouldnt go for it unless there had been some autumn rain and the forecast suggested more .
BTW had a reasonable ghillie and some fine B+B acommodation at a Cocker mouth B+B called graysonside , they have a website :smokin:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Its in England so no sunday close

I've seen this comment before on the UK board. How (why?) does this work? I can understand reducing fishing pressure, but why a weekend day?

·
Registered
43 Posts
no sunday close

hi fred, derwent is near scottish border. scotland is closed for salmon fishing on sunday, england is ok. however in scotland trout fisherman can more or less go where they like and can fish on sunday! so you have trout fishers with heavy lines and big sunk flies fishing the prime salmon beats on sunday! however in england up to 16 june its all catch and release whereas scotland is free for all to kill unless river board make special rule. crazy world . i wont bother you with ireland where their drift nets in the atlantic are hoovering up hundreds of thousands of returnig fish destined for west of scotland england ireland wales spain france and germany! despite eu conservation rules bureaucrats look the other way! the u is for useless! sorry, got on my high horse and off the point. paul

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sunday,s

The Sunday close of fishing in scotland is a Hangover from when the Scottish Anglicans and Independant Churches wouls have you in Church 2/3/4 times on a sunday and the big entertainment for the day was reading the good book .
Myself nothing against a trip to church and a read of the bible ,but there is much more to life .
A days salmon fishing on a fine river brings me closer to the Maker than most sermons .

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Andy, a lot of folks on our side of the Pond ..

would be in total agreement!:D

...despite eu conservation rules bureaucrats .... With this line, in Washington State, you could freely substitute Indian river netting of steelhead and salmon. Fortunately, Oregon State doesn't have the same issues (other than rivers that feed into the Columbia River (the boarder between Wash/Oregon for much of it's length.

Sad to say the fish runs in Washington (and British Columbia) are steadily declining ... Oregon's are/have been on the increase for several years.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The real reason

To hell with churches and god, if there was fishing on a Sunday, how would you ever get the car washed, grass cut and sundry other jobs yhat require my attention during the season.

The english I'm afraid are not clever enough to see this, the Scots are a crafty nation.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Ah Willie .....

Didn't you guys have a 'few wars' a few centuries back? I think the Brits won ... well at least 'won the day.'
:D

·
Registered
886 Posts
History lesson

Fred,
A long time ago the English ran out of kings so they had to come crawling to their near neighbours, who gave them one he became James the first sixth of Scotland. So England became part of Scotland in the union act 1707? Ireland joining sometime later. Now we have Elizabeth the second first in Scotland to some.

I think battle wise we are probably equal have won Bannockburn but lost Culloden, last battle fought on British soil, Bonnie Prince Charlie and all that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Malcom is right actually (well I have to say that ,He is my host next week ) The best kings of England were often "Johnny foriegner",William the Conquerer for one ,I wont go into some of the others in case the Irish get involved .TTIC (totally tounge in Cheek )
the sunday bit is good too for us Londoners ,if I could fish sunday up there ,I would be driving back to London in the wee small hours of sunday into monday and back to work .
One of the high points of driving up the M1/M6/M74/A9 is looking for the anglers heading in the same direction and wondering where they are going and wether they will have water .

·
Registered
38 Posts
...... and don't forget Frau Elizabeth and Phil the Greek current incumbents at Buckingham Palace.

I thought that it was normal to drive 6hrs for a days fishing :rolleyes:

·
JD
3,609 Posts
A days salmon fishing on a fine river brings me closer to the Maker than most sermons

Amen brother.
"I thought that it was normal to drive 6hrs for a days fishing "
I thought so too when I lived it So. Ca. "Nuff said. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts