Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I want to build a 14' spey rod as an allround rod for steelhead and atlantic salmon fishing.
Can anybody help with some infos about CTS spey rod blanks?
The rod is for underhand casting shooting heads and it should be suited for a head weight of 500 - 550 grains (32 - 35 Gramm).
Is a 9/10 the right tool? … what blank line: Affinity DH, Affinity Skagit and the new Affinity DH-S?
What are alternatives to CTS?
Any help is welcome. Thanks!
Stefan

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Bob Meiser should be able to help you with info on CTS blanks.

R. B. Meiser Fly Rods

Ashland, OR

1-541-770-9522

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Meiser

will know the blanks and may already have a suitable blank on hand that he can get to you more quickly than shipping half way around the world. Besides, I always enjoy the phone call with Bob.

·
Registered
215 Posts
t_richerzhagen said:
will know the blanks and may already have a suitable blank on hand that he can get to you more quickly than shipping half way around the world.
I don't for one minute doubt BM's knowledge and wisdom, but Stefan's profile says he's in Germany. CTS do appear to have a couple of distributors in Europe, and, aside from speed and convenience, a blank bought from them will not incur import duty as would an import from the US.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Stefan S said:
Hi,
I want to build a 14' spey rod as an allround rod for steelhead and atlantic salmon fishing.
Can anybody help with some infos about CTS spey rod blanks?
The rod is for underhand casting shooting heads and it should be suited for a head weight of 500 - 550 grains (32 - 35 Gramm).
Is a 9/10 the right tool? … what blank line: Affinity DH, Affinity Skagit and the new Affinity DH-S?
What are alternatives to CTS?
Any help is welcome. Thanks!
Stefan
I got this answer from Bob when I contacted him with a similiar question:

"The 14'0" 9/10 has a grain window of 650 to 950 grains.

"The 14'0" 8/9 has a grain window of 550 to 850 grains."

It sounds a bit on the heavy side for a 8/9 and 9/10 rod to me. Has anyone any expericen ?

Ola

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hello Stephen <> Olavi,

Olavi,

To be accurate <> You requested the grain window for my own 14'0" 9/10 and as a comparison I also included the grain window for the 14'0' 8/9 as well.

The information given to you are based on RB Meiser taper designs...

... Not specifically those used by CTS.

And the grain windows given are 100% accurate ... };^)...!!!

There is surley a distinct simalarity between the present CTS two handed tapers and RB Meiser tapers, as Stephen Pratt and I have worked together developing benchmark designs over the past three years.

All of the CTS Affinity Skagits (for example) are benchmarked from our present 13'6" 8/9 MKS:

The original Mike Kinney Special 13'6" 8/9 known as "Adam" was this benchmark.

Most of the present CTS Affinity DH tapers are benchmarked from our 14'0" 8/9 Highlander:

Named the Highlander for the great amount of developmental field work originally done by Brian Styskal.

This original is the known as "Eve", and is the benchmark for all of rods within our own Highlander series.

CTS now does all of our roll up for both the MKS and Highlander series...

... But these are our own proprietary tapers, and not specifically the same as those marketed by CTS.

Hello Stefan,

If you are looking for a crisp and sweet ... fast/medium fast recovery, progressive action, progressive tapered 14'0" rod that will cast 500/550 grains off the tip with underhand predominant:

I would suggest the CTS Affinity Plus 7/8 wt.

This is a wonderful all purpose rod for that window.

<> And Gardner is correct:

You should be able to find regional outlets for these blanks on the Euro continent at a better price then having them come from the US.

I would contact Stephen Pratt at CTS directly about these blanks.

If you wish to consider other blanks:

CND USA distribution does now offer their blanks through Snake River Outfitters.

These too are superb blanks at very reasonable pricing ... For this I would suggest one of the "Black Speys"

Meiz

·
Registered
21 Posts
Robert Meiser said:
Hello Stephen <> Olavi,

Olavi,

To be accurate <> You requested the grain window for my own 14'0" 9/10 and as a comparison I also included the grain window for the 14'0' 8/9 as well.

The information given to you are based on RB Meiser taper designs...

... Not specifically those used by CTS.

And the grain windows given are 100% accurate ... };^)...!!!

Meiz
... they sure are. What surprised me was that given the ratings of the rod the grains suggested appeard a bit on the heavy side to what I am used to. Can it be that the difference lies in the kind of lines that we use?

I do only use scandinavian heads in the 10-13 meter (32-42,5 feet range), that is not a lot of lenght compaired to for example a full speyline or a windcutter. Of course there is a difference in the technique involved between a scandohead and some longer line (not to speak about the difference between scandoheads and skagit, who seems to bear very little similiarities).

To take a well known example. For my 15 feet classic GLX # 10/11 the optimal solution seems to be a 40 feet line with the weight of 550-590 grains (36-38 grams). I am certainly not alone among scandinavian fishermen to have this opinion. This quite heavy rod seems to fit with lighter line that the 14 feet Meiser we where discussing.

Bob, given your experience and your choise of lines, which is the optimal grain-zone for the 15 feet #10/11 GLX?

A longer line and a different technique surely opens up to some possibilies in diffrerent weights.

Am I using the right conversion between grains and grams? 1 gram = 15,43 grains. 1 grain = 0,06479891 grams.

/Olavi

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Olavi,

I think in short you nailed it with the understanding of applied techniques in various casting styles.

I truely feel that any well designed two handed blank taper will cast Scandi line sytems as effectively and efficiently as Skagit line systems ... But it is up to the caster to adjust to the required anchor management of these various line systems to acheive the targeted distances.

A well designed rod taper doesn't differenciate between line systems ... They are simply tools that are designed to deliver grains.

The caster on the other hand does need to adjust line management with various line systems to allow that rod taper to perform to it's maximum delivery capabilities.

Desired rod actions to accomplish these goals are really a personal issue.

We as anglers all have personal preference for how we niche our rods to perform under various line loads, and this is largley the reason why there are now a bazillion rod and line tapers out there for the angler to choose from ... };^)...!!!

A very good thing for anglers ... But it can become confusing if not looked at from a big picture.

The GLX you speak of surely will cast 550 to 590 grains with the described line system extremely well off the tip of the rod with touch and go delivery.

This I have no doubt is true for this niche application.

But if I am allowed to generalize ... And forgive me if I am not 100 % accurate.

My guess is that by digging deeper <> That same rod will also deliver from the sustained anchor of a 650 Skagit with 20 feet of T-14 in tow equally as well.

That's netting close to 950 grains of load placed on the rod.

...And this same rod in the right hands will probably acheive distances in excess of 120' with 850 +- grains of a balanced 85' long belly floating line while grease lining.

So in that regards the grain window for this rod may be 600 to 900 grains.

<> All dependant on how you use it.

How these various deliveries are successfully managed with their respective numbered line systems on that same rod is a totally a caster/line management issue.

Meiz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts