Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your tying is off the charts. Thanks for sharing, just spectacular. That fly has everything - flow, pop, contrast. It will find you a player.

·
Administrator
19,615 Posts
I like everything about this fly :)
I always loved the pattern, in fact it's one of my favorites to swing for winter steelhead on my home river.
Is that purple or a shade of claret body hackle?
I prefer the platform you chose, straight shank opposed to the often seen curved shank. I just think a straight shank is more conducive to the built wing patterns.

Your tying is top shelf and always a pleasure for viewing :)

Mike

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like everything about this fly :)
I always loved the pattern, in fact it's one of my favorites to swing for winter steelhead on my home river.
Is that purple or a shade of claret body hackle?
I prefer the platform you chose, straight shank opposed to the often seen curved shank. I just think a straight shank is more conducive to the built wing patterns.

Your tying is top shelf and always a pleasure for viewing :)

Mike
Thanks so very much Mike!! It is a claret hackle. Ya I agree about the hooks. I tie on a lot of BHs for fishing purposes but the classics never look quite right eh?

·
Administrator
19,615 Posts
Thanks so very much Mike!! It is a claret hackle. Ya I agree about the hooks. I tie on a lot of BHs for fishing purposes but the classics never look quite right eh?
The curved shanks are sexy for hackle tip and to modern strip wings, I totally agree.
But I must say the straight shanks lend themselves to the more traditional patterns ... just my opinion anyways.

Mike

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The curved shanks are sexy for hackle tip and to modern strip wings, I totally agree.
But I must say the straight shanks lend themselves to the more traditional patterns ... just my opinion anyways.

Mike
Agreed.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well done, The Black Silk is one of my favourite patterns. It's also deceptively hard to get right, I think you nailed it. Crosfield's tying method is a little wild, I've never tried it either.

·
Coastal PNW
866 Posts
This is the type of design I prefer
I would be happy with a dozen alike, the tying work you have here is fantastic

1 - 18 of 18 Posts