Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Well, if that isn't an egg-packin' crawfish, I don't know what is!!

That, to me, is a very serious imitation, and I'm sure when it gets scooting cross-current, will get some major attention!

Well done!

Reactions: Steven Baker

·
Registered
32 Posts
That was my thoughts exactly... Bass will tear the **** out of it... Especially if you tie it up in olive and red... The ol watermelon mudbug

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well done. Very cool fly! Would you mind listing your pattern for myself and others? I think I can pick out most of the stuff, but would appreciate a confirmation. That is a very good crayfish. I'm betting it would work on our lake smallmouth bass and also river brown trout too.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
i too would love to see a pattern for this, I plan to start bass fishing again and this thing looks like it would just be a killer! I love it!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Daaaayyyyyuuuummmm, that's a nifty piece of fly ting! Would love to see a recipe - or better still, a step by step. I HAVE to put some of those in my fly box.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the kind words everyone but the credit for the pattern should go to Stuart Foxall from the UK. I watched his video for the "Red Shrimp Intruder" on Vimeo and only changed the colors and added a little dubbing and Polar chenille at the front to try and hide the 1/40 ounce lead-eyes. He ties his on a tube but I like cut-shanks better. Go to Vimeo and just search "Red Shrimp Intruder" for the excellent step by step video.
I tested the Crayfish & the Shrimp on my home river today and the Shrimp took the prize. Water is still a little cold up here for crayfish activity ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Have checked out Stu's video. I like cut shanks too. Feel free to add your crayfish dressing modifications to the site. It won't hurt, and will help me and others to duplicate your effort. I think you have something here. Lots of crayfish in some of the rivers I fish.

·
Registered
607 Posts
cray fish intruder

super looking crayfish pattern . after chasing chrome and the big lake browns , smallies are the next best thrill going around here IMHO . half the time their puking up crayfish when you get them to hand !
i guess i am joining the crowd and asking you for a brief SBS . we live in the boonies and wireless internet is the only choice . blew way past the limit last month and i'd rather spend the bucks on gas to the river . if i watched every great tying video out there i'd be done in a week never mind in a month . but that's my problem , not yours .:) thanks for posting .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep me too for info on how and what materials you used to modify! I have run thru the video and got the recipe but like shanks like you so info would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Awesome fly! Reminds me of some of the mantis shrimp flies I have tied for bonefish only way sexier. I bet that fly would work in the salt too.

·
flytie09
954 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread....but I had a question for Paul? A great pattern by the way.... have you ever had success targeting Steelhead using this fly or any other crayfish pattern? I know they're in the SR.....just wasn't sure how aggressive the fish were towards them.

Thanks

ft09

1 - 20 of 25 Posts