Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a second hand rod (lightly used), and when I received it I noticed that there were exposed and frayed threads on the ferrule (about three strands). I don't know if it was the defect or the result of an impact, but when I contacted the previous owner he said he never noticed it, and wasn't sure if he ever hit the blank with a fly. Fortunately there is warranty available (Sage), but with return shipping and all it ends up being about $100 Canadian. Would you keep and use it as is, or would you warranty it to avoid the problem getting worse, threads getting wet and weakening, etc?

·
The Skeena in the fall
372 Posts
The key here is not the exposed threads but whether you’ve got a hairline crack in the ferrule.
With a good light and magnifying glass look at the inside of the female end for a crack.
If you have a crack you can try to repair it but I would get a new section from Sage.
If no crack then you have some cosmetic damage which might require rewrapping or a new coat of epoxy on the threads.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just took a closer look, it appears to just be a very small section where the epoxy had come off. My guess at this point is that there was a tag end of thread sticking out and it starting causing the epoxy to be peel away, just a short section about three strands of thread wide.

·
Registered
653 Posts
For the most part, glass and graphite female end ferrules would only crack if crushed, by stepping on or similar; thread at the ferrules being for decoration only, doing little to reinforce the ferrule.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You have two options with this problem. The first option is to strip the nylon thread wrap off and rewrap the ferrule with spectra or some non stretchy thread, then re epoxy .Or if the crack in the ferrule is short and you have plenty of over lap on the ferrule take a piece of strapping tape and wrap around the ferrule 1/8" past where the crack stops. This gives you a stopping point while sanding. I use a 1X42" belt sander, any belt sander will work. Now I put a 400 grit belt on and sand the crack until it is gone. This shortens the female ferrule but then there is no crack to migrate up the blankIf you choose to rewrap the ferrule and leave the crack it will migrate up the shaft over time. 99 times out of 100 if the thread and epoxy is coming off the blank it is cracked. Over the over 40 years I ran my rod business I saw much of this.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are you able to take a pic of the damage. If it is just epoxy and tread damage it is a super easy fix. Where are you located in Canada, if you are on the island I can help.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At this point I may just send it into Sage so I can be sure it’s fixed and everything is good to go, especially since any repair I attempt myself has the potential to void the warranty.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There only appears to be damage to the epoxy, the blank does not appear cracked (perhaps a scratch inside that lines up with an epoxy crack, but that’s it). Is there any sort of stress test you can do at home to assess the integrity of the blank before sending it in?

·
Registered
249 Posts
At this point I may just send it into Sage so I can be sure it’s fixed and everything is good to go, especially since any repair I attempt myself has the potential to void the warranty.
Might be worth giving them a call and ask if it would void the warranty to have a local rod builder fix, if the graphite is not cracked it is a very easy fix, and a local rod builder can have it fixed in days.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Might be worth giving them a call and ask if it would void the warranty to have a local rod builder fix, if the graphite is not cracked it is a very easy fix, and a local rod builder can have it fixed in days.

I emailed them yesterday and they were pretty vague, saying that non factory work could void the warranty. I do a bit of building myself and was thinking of using flex coat finish over the missing epoxy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts