Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P1254265.jpg
for clipped adipose - Mike, I hope the river drops-in soon and maybe for a couple of pics in the days to follow.

I used to tie these, and the Paint Brush, on large heavy 1/0 & 2/0 hooks. Not so large anymore. Both of these started out as white BEP, and the white cape in the background. Dyed using Jacquard acid-dyes. The Calf-tail I intended didn't take the colors so well and hence the crest-toppings. I reversed the yellow and orange for one. I think the color contrast is greater with the orange to the outside. I do believe the intent behind McMillan's color scheme was max contrast...

As always: Welcome to comments.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Great looking Winter Hopes, and a great photo. Good luck on the Cowlitz.

Mark

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Beautiful work.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I LOVE these 2, outta sight man!

J

·
Registered
481 Posts
Those are wonderful. I'm not sure the Cowlitz ditch chickens are worthy of these ;) Regardless, I hope one finds it's way into the corner of one's jaw and onto your BBQ.

Aaron

·
Registered
895 Posts
Great Hopes, Vic! I think I like the one with the orange on the outside better.

I remember reading somewhere, that the calf tail was only used because Mr. McMillan was out of crest at the time. I'm sure "someone" will chime in on this!

Simply Beautiful,

-Bill

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are wonderful. I'm not sure the Cowlitz ditch chickens are worthy of these ;) Regardless, I hope one finds it's way into the corner of one's jaw and onto your BBQ.

Aaron
Ha - Don't knock the Brats too hard - do bonk them square though. They do best they can by us.

Thanks gentlemen.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you cant make it down send them to me I will swim them for you.

seriously hope you can make it down.

Skilly

·
Administrator
19,124 Posts
These are gorgeous Vic !!
I believe Bill is right about the calf tail topping . I read somewhere Mr. McMillan used golden olive calf tail because the crests he had were not suitable for the fly he was tying ... I prefer the crest look .
Your tying is always very clean , great job on these !!

Mike

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again everyone.

That's my understanding also regarding the topping for the Winters Hope: A few strands of calf tail dyed golden olive to resemble a golden crest. It would have been nice had the dye taken better for one of these, at least.

Adrian - the vise is still up and cranking out trout flies. Oh - and I've used it to twist loops for blind eyes also...

Jin Sir, these are for a friend who's given me some of the materials in my flies and hooks galore. I won't be heading anywhere to swing these anytime soon.

Cheers.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Very nicely done.

Regarding McMillan's use of the golden-olive calf tail as a topping on this fly, I've heard two versions: One that McMillan didn't know how to tie a crest feather in so it hugged the wing and was straight on top of the wing back when he originated this fly, so he used the golden-olive calf tail as a substitute; The second was the McMillan didn't have any suitable crest feathers at the time.

Since McMillan was working in a fly shop when this fly was developed, it is doubtful he didn't have access to suitable crest feathers. However, since none of us were there when he developed the fly, unless someone knew him then and is able to verify which it is, it is only speculation as to which.

However, the bottom line is it doesn't matter because either type of topping makes for a very nice tying of this fly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts