Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Thinking of floating the Cow on Saturday with my dad in my drift boat. Planning Barrier to Blue creek. I know, I know.... Is 3,000 cfs fine in a DB or should I plan on a different river?

Try to get up early enough to swing a few runs before the hoards move in...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yes low but very doable, I prefer blue cr to mission!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Very doable. Will the upper-section be less crowded???

Hope to get the details on how it went. Fish or none - it's a nice section of the river. The hoards don't have to be a problem - but they can if you let them.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I run it in my sled at 3000 you should be fine in a drift boat.

There are a couple of places with sweepers so just keep your eyes open.

Skilly

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate everyone's responses! Thanks!

Going to try and skate some dries in the early morning hours. Might even try to tie up a little wang ala' Todd for all the good karma he generates!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Water was beautiful though I found no fish. Saw a couple guys catch springers with eggs under 'indicators' and a few steelhead caught at BC. My shuttle service flaked on me so I was graciously offered a ride by a guy with a sled.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The cow usually picks up in mid July, but there are a few around for sure and beats working!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Compared to gear anglers and guides, fly-anglers on the Cowlitz are a very small group of regulars - but a great bunch guys. Lost Creek Flies comes to mind - sure know how to make visitors welcome.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Achilles,

You're not the only one who found a skunk on the Cowlitz yesterday. A friend and I went downriver to explore some new water, so half the places we fished probably weren't prime water. It may be a slow season. The winter run return wasn't all that hot, and the summers follow the winters of the same brood year and cohort.

Sg

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
805 Posts
A poor run on the Cow can be very enjoyable for us fly guys, as the gear guides tend to leave the river alone. Fewer sleds = more quality in the outing for me. And, there are always some fish around somewhere.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I got a Ziltch on Friday a big O that is Zero, Nada, nothing ,,Not even a tap. But Dam it was great to be out on the water again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the validation, everyone. We had a wonderful day and made more good memories on the water.

On a side note, is the WDFW fixing to close the Kalama hatchery program? Anyone have an educated opinion about this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts