Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, way out of my comfort zone trying to tie a couple of Dee flies. Setting wings always proves a challenge. The first fly with the green body I think the wings are short and should have extended further to the hook curve. I think the 2nd was a bit better, but I welcome suggestions for my improvements. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Those look great, just build up the head a bit so there is not a drastic edge from the collar stem that causes the wings to point up(something I forget all the time). Keep at it, those will fish!

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
They look good and will fish :)
Mr. Riffle is right, a good base of tying thread is essential for wing slip placement, good advise!!
It seems these were tied reduced, which is not the "usual" for tying in the "Dee strip style", but as they say, "your hook, your rules", right ?
The Green Dee strip looks reduced and sexy, yes the wing slips are short, but so is the body and the absence of tail/veiling/butt allows a nice flow with this fly.
The Brown Dee strip is much the same, however the taming of the body hackle adds a lower quadrant bulk and yet the wing slips up above look lonely since there is a void there. In my opinion, let the hackles rest where they may, preening is not required. Hackles in the round just add good material flow to the fly and enhance a full range of movement, bottom to top, front to rear.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"The Duck" was kind enough to send a PM and offered some great constructive criticism on quite a few details. With his permission, I would be glad to post it. And Mike, thanks for your tips also, all well taken. Next time I give it a try, I will go back a review all of this and hopefully make some improvements. Thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts