Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Wow! Those are all stunning! :smokin:

My only advise is I think your body length is too long. Start the tag above the point of the hook or even slightly forward of it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those I was using a Partridge Carrie Stevens #2, but I also have been tying them on Partridge cs10s, daichii alec jacksons and 2271s.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Great ties, mac!

I humbly agree with FishTech on the placement of the starting point of your body, on these hooks, at least. Different hooks, different start.

I've tried Dees on just about every hook out there, and it's one style that I just can't get right. You have, however, got it!

Thanks for the wonderful ties,

-Bill

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
I think use this hook if it is what you have. but leave more hook bend bare for fish mouths to not damage and start the tip and tag further forward. This will make the fly appear smaller while staying with same hook size and allowing for a further back hook gape for easier hook sets.

great tying though, nice wingsets and clean silk work. for dees, consider following a few patterns, I think a little dubbing in these already sparse patterns goes a long way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the kind words and suggestions back to the drawing board!
Is there a book or website I can go to to look for recipes? I seem to only be able to find Akroyds and Dunts online

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funds are pretty low right now because of University but what are some good hooks to get for dee flies? I have heard gaelic supreme and Blue Heron, but those are a little out of reach right now.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
I'm just getting started in the classic's game myself, and by the looks of those beauties, you'll be setting bar pretty high very soon!

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Very neatly tied. The top dee with tinsel and purple hackle is particularly eye catching. I think the proportions are only slightly off because the shanks are so long on these hooks. If you where to dress the tag a bit shorter, shorten the tinsel body also so that your veiling extended slightly further back over the veiling, and matched that length with the forward section of the body - clip the remainder of the shank. That alone for the next one would balance the fly well. In my opinion the shanks are just too long.

But then again - fish don't surf the net...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts