Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own one of Cortland's spey rods? I'm looking for a heavier rod than my 6/7 to handle tips and bigger water and am interested in any input on their 13' 8/9. I did a search and only found one thread, dating back to '03.

Right now, I'm leaning toward buying a Redington RedFly outfit (14' 9 weight), but at $350 for the entire setup, the Cortland rigs look pretty tempting...

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
I own both rods you mentioned.
The Cortland rod casts a 7/8/9 windcutter and tips. Being 5 piece makes it a nice travel or backup rod.
I would recommend you get the 14' Redfly 9/10 wt. of the two.
I prefer a SA 10/11 wt spey line or 8/9 SA XLT on mine. It has plenty of power and is versatile.
I think both are much better rods than they are generally given credit for.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Verne,
What reel are you using to balance the Redington? Of the two, which has better feel and/or more power?
Thanks again

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
RedFive, I have the 14' RedFly 9/10. I'm using a Tioga Magnum 12 with a Windcutter 9/10/11 w/tips. This line and reel combination creates a balance point a couple of inches down from the top of the cork on the upper handle. (I was messing with the this the last time I was out fishing. The balance is nice with the whole head out plus 10' of running line while swinging across a run.) Your mileage may vary... :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Both rods are in the faster category in my opinion. The 14' Redfly takes about a one size larger line. I use a 8/9/10 windcutter for sink tip fishing on my Redfly. I use a 7/8/9 Windcutter on the Cortland. The Cortland also will cast the 8/9/10 Windcutter, but not the XLT, etc.
The Cortland is the only spey rod I tape as it has a tendency to come apart.
I am using a Redington AS 10/11 reel on the Redfly.
I was just out practicing with my new Redington rs3 13'3" 7 wt. It handles a 7/8 Delta spey very well, it is indeed impressive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts