Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get spare spools for a Cortland Magnum 140 and 200 reel? I believe the reel was discontinued so I'm having trouble locating spools. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Check with the fellows on the UK flyfishing forms board. This courtland reel had very little 'intro' in the US; over there lots of them .. and I'm sure the spools would be available.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
In England they're known under the Leeda brand name. I'm not sure if they were also marketed as Magnums and/or with the same series numbers.

For these, or any other desired tackle items, you should list them on eBay under "My Favorite Searches" and then just wait for an email notice whenever one is listed for sale. You can also use the "I want to buy..." search method on eBay.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes, over here you'll find them badged either Leeda or BFR, but I expect they would otherwise be identical to the Cortland badged reels (there is no obvious difference between Leeda and BFR badged reels), and are also sold as Magnum 140D and Magnum 200D.

BFR stands for British Fly Reels, a company with a fine manufacturing tradition but which was bought by Orvis. Unfortunately, Orvis closed the factory in Cornwall down at the end of last year and transferred production to China, and I guess that's when these reels were discontinued. You should still be able to find them from UK retailers, though, and they pop up on ebay fairly frequently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts