Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any information regarding the Cortland CL Two-Handed 13' 8/9 wt. 5 piece that they are coming out with this fall?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cortland CL spey rods

I bought a 12' 5/6 weight, fished it hard. Good rod! I have 4 Sage spey rods and a Temple Fork- 12'6 6 weight. Albeit lack of cosmetics I endorse the CL highly.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
According to my dealer catalog the 12'6"-7/8 and the 13'-9/10 are both new for 2005. I don't know much about the Cortland CL 5 piece spey rods except I hear they are FAST. I know a few people that have them and they think they are an exceptional rod considering the price of $199.95.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I cast the Cortland 13' 8/9 at one of Speybum's Day on the River get togethers last fall and was pleasantly surprised at how well it cast considering its low price. The cosmetics are not that great, but it did cast very well.

It is on the fast side of moderate, although considerably slower than the T&T, Loomis GLX, Meiser Highlanders, Sage TCR (a very fast, tip-to-middle action rod 2-hand series), and Loop Green Series. Overall, I thought it a much better rod than the 13' 7/8 St. Croix Imperial that many folks like (St. Croix has since discountinued the Imperial 2-handers and has a new series of 2-hand rods that sell for $350.00). It is a great value for the price.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 13' 8/9 Cortland CL spey rod. I too think it is a very good rod for the price and I fish it right along with my more costly rods. It handles a 7/8/9 or 8/9/10 WC nicely. I especially like the 5 piece construction and carrying case. It is my take along in the car rod.
The only caveat I have is that I always tape the ferrules, because they tend to come loose fairly quickly on mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts