Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy under-rated rod. Just putting it together and giving it a wiggle its obviously not a 5/6, more like a cannon of a 7wt. Feels like it will be fun none the less. I'm thinking a Rio 7/8 scando head hacked back a good 4-5ft. Anybody else using this stick? any insight on lines? preferably shooters.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
All the ones I've seen seemed to perform just fine when uplined one size. A pretty great inexpensive stick.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Cortland 5-6 rod

You're talking about the one that's 12 ft long or so, right?? I took this rod for a short test drive at the Spey-O-Rama. The guy displaying it mentioned that it was lined with a 7 wt (I believe). He also mentioned something like..."we make a good rod, just don't have the right line weight written on it."

At any rate, in short order, I could cast it much better than my Fly Logic 13 ft 7 wt, which has a higher price tag.

I am tempted to indulge in either this unit, or perhaps a similar-sized TFO. The only negative thing I noticed was that the reel seat had become a little loose.

Scott

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Cortland 5/6

I have cast the Cortland CL 5/6, 7/8, and 9/10 and they are really nice casting rods. I would up-line the rods for a "A" rating and two line sizes for a "B" rating. Great backup sticks as they are 5-piece & are a great price! I think Cortland will do well with this rod ---- Lawrence

1 - 5 of 5 Posts