Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread from a forum about spey line reviews and the cortland 444 spey line was the worst line.:confused: Does that mean that I bought the worst line that I could have bought? Now that I have read a little bit more and seen that thread I wish I would have bought a different line and one with changable tips. Could anyone say that cortland spey lines suck.:chuckle:

Dan

·
Registered
24 Posts
I dont have there spey version but my 6wt single hander has a cortland 444 floater on it. I think it's a good line and cast fine. Cortland is a good company and todays modern lines have come along way, rig it up on your rod and give it a cast thats the best way to tell. It might become a back up line.

good luck,

chris

·
JD
3,641 Posts
tips lines

Cortland makes as good a line as anyone. They just don't offer all the different varieties some of the others do. And hence, do not get the press. A tips line will set you back plenty. If you really want to fish tips, buy a couple of tips and cut & loop the Cortland line. Or have someone do it for you.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
For some reason the cortland speys have not caught on in recent years. I have seen but never cast the line you are referring to so I can't give any first hand advice. If memory serves me correctly though, there was some concern that they were a bit light for the listed size.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have several cortland fly lines and don't have no problem with them and would by another one for my fly rods. I do alot of reading and when I bought the cortland spey line I read that it was like the rio wind cutter. I will be out to the water next week to play on the water. It is suppose to warm up a little and would be a great time to get out and pratice. Thanks for all the info.

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts