Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about picking one of these up for for 13 ft 6 8/9 spey rod to keep costs down.has anyone ever used one of these reels what did you think about this reel and how did handle the fish you were catching on it.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
I own 1. They work. Drag is suspect although on the few fish I have had on with this reel it performed moderately well. I have since upgraded. Not sure what they sell for but if you like make me an offer and I will sell you mine.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
someone said these are similar to the young's,that cortland bought the company,,,any clue:confused:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Scott--

It will work with the 8/9 lines up to mid-belly ones. If you are really sold on getting it, send PM to Kerry to get one a a good price.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one, I'd look at the STH DDR (about $150.00 US retail) instead. I've never had a problem with the 5 I own. And the STH DDR will hold up to a 8/9 long-belly spey line, or any of the short to mid-belly lines including the 10/11's with a good amount of backing.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Cortland Magnum 200D

I've used two of these reels (one, bought in Canada, labeled a Leeda, as they are marketed there and in England)for about six years. It's a durable reel. I suspect that its disc drag might not be enough at max. setting for a really strong fish. At around 8.6 ounces, it's a good fit for medium to large spey rods. Its capacity is greater than indicated above: a 120' DT11F plus around 150 yards of 30# gell-spun backing. eBay prices run around $30-40.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
peter-s-c said:
They're BFR's, now owned by Orvis, and BFR also makes System 2s. Compare them -- there ain't much difference.
Ummm... Unless I'm wrong, the system 2 uses a caliper disc drag system (like a lamson LP), and the Magnum uses a stacked disc system (like a cortland LTD or an orvis CFO disc). That's alot of difference...

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Cortland 200 Magnum

I had my 200D at the Sandy Clave and Simon said it is a Leeda. My son has a System 2 of the same time period and they are different reels. I have a Mid Spey 10/11 and plenty of backing on mine.

Rich

·
Registered
294 Posts
Cortland via their UK arm Masterline do own the Youngs reel making equipment ,I dont think they are making these reels at the present time ,shame as they were good workman like reels ,I do own a couple of their trout reels and they do what they should at a fair price .
200D I,m thinking of getting one myself as the price is V good .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cortland 200 Magnum was my first spey reel. It's a durable reel. I fished it yesterday with a 15' 10 wt, 10/11/12 Windcutter with a Rio Big Boy 400 grain tip. Lots of capacity, plenty of backing.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
a friend used the Leeda version for years on the Thompson. The drag was kinda poopy but since I don't really like or use much in the way of drag that wasn't an issue for me. It seemed like a very rugged reel and good value for the money. If it can handle Thompson fish I'm sure it would work for any steelhead.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I got a BFR 200 as part of a rod-reel-line package from one of the sites in England. It worked for @ two months then just free spooled. I got it repaired at a shop and then traded it off.
Lesson learned: You get what you pay for. I would have been better off investing a few more dollars for a higher quality reel rather then trying to save a few bucks and going for the cheapest one I could find. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Link...

It worked for @ two months then just free spooled.
You must have just yanked the guts out of that reel on those mighty Salmon River fish.:devil: You froze in over there?

·
Registered
127 Posts
MJC You old coyote!

What are you doing up this early?
You ought to see this river, it looks like an avalanch chute!
I'm thinking about heading for Peck, the banana belt of Idaho, where the fish are huge and the spey shop owners are all above average!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Link...

I'm thinking about heading for Peck, the banana belt of Idaho, where the fish are huge and the spey shop owners are all above average!
I think you got it confused. Here the fish are above average and the spey shop owners are huge. At least no one is calling me "Twiggy".

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
peter-s-c said:
Cortland don't make/own the reel. It's a British Fly Reel 200D that's rebadged for Cortland. Compare the two, they're identical. Compare it to a System 2 Model 1213 - same reel. In the cartridge type, British Fly Reel makes the same reels for Orvis, Cortland, and sells them under their own name as well. They make them for somebody else, but I've forgotten the name. Most of the SA reels I've seen came from BFR.
Peter you keep saying this but I'm pretty sure it isn't so. Having owned both, and currently owning three 200D magnums, they are not the same reel. Completely different drags, frames, handles, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts