Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for all you instructors. When correcting a casting fault, are you first looking at the loop shape, then the rod and finally the body? Then correcting the fault in the reverse order? This would be the typical 6 step method. Or are you more focused on the D-loop? Or all? To my thinking the D-loop plays such an important roll in the cast that it must be observed at some point, but where and when? :confused:

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
439 Posts
This is what I do when instructing, just watch the hands and what they are doing. Probably the number one fault for a beginner to over come is raising the rod to a stop when forming the "D-Loop".

Leroy....................

G.Lommis Pro Staff
CI AND THCI

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Hi Bob -

Yes, casting loop shape tells the tale, as does the d-loop. But when stepping back to look at the big picture Spey casting is like a house of cards - one card falls and the rest tumble. I'm not convinced there would be a single diagnostic point of reference as such, rather signs all are valuable - whether heavy anchors, bloody L's, lack of consistencies or Frenchman sipping soup :lildevl:

Let me clarify:

the prescription for a good D-loop may often be the sweep technique...

which depends entirely on the lift technique...

yet correction of a forward cast can be made by correcting that d-loop about half the time...

thus the lift is linked to the forward cast via the sweep and d-loop.

Conclusion:

I'd say you need to understand the "linkage" to properly diagnose faults; and this on a cast-by-cast basis.

A clean Spey cast should result in a good presentation of the fly to the fish, however it should also be efficient, consistent, and require only the minimum amount of effort for a particular cast.

There is a certain sense you get as an instructor when there is an opportunity to pass on a missing morsel, or should I say the right morsel - even to advanced students.

Just as the doctor takes our pulse, or our temperature, maybe even a blood test, and occasionally asks us to urinate in a cup - systemic things require systemic perspectives.

That's one of the energizing and intruiging things about teaching!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Juro, your "Linkage" analogy is great. It makes perfect sense. I guess thats something that should have been obvious from the start, but hey! I'm just a rookie at this and still learning.

Leroy, I like your method as well, in fact when I instruct single handers, I tend to focus a lot on the hands as well.

Again, many thanks!

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts