Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys on a bunch of my spey rods I have noticed that the cork has started to turn dark. I make sure after each use that they are dry ect. and I take very good care of them, yet they still are darkening. WHY!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
The dirt and oils in your hands will darken cork you can't really stop it , if you want to keep it clean use a magic eraser every now and then to clean it .

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Regard it as the rod equivalent of a "patina" on an old Hardy Perfect, i.e. a badge of honour, & don't worry about it; it will cast and fish just as well as a shiney new clean one.

A few scales stuck to the fittings just add to the survivalist look.....

Regards, Tyke.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
Hey guys on a bunch of my spey rods I have noticed that the cork has started to turn dark. I make sure after each use that they are dry ect. and I take very good care of them, yet they still are darkening. WHY!!!
sounds like you fish enough to not be mistaken for a poser. are your waders dirty too ? i only like clean on my glasses ;)

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
sounds like you fish enough to not be mistaken for a poser. are your waders dirty too ? i only like clean on my glasses ;)
If by "glasses" you mean "spectacles" then I agree wholeheartedly; if you mean whiskey tumblers then "clean" may mean that you are in dangerous risk of becoming dehydrated - something we all need to be aware of & take the necessary precautions against!

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I noticed my cork was starting to take on a greyish tone...finally realized the dye was leaching out of my wool gloves...a little majic eraser... problem solved.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
My favorite Meiser is about 9 years old now- the cork is nearly the same tone as the darker synthetic cork trim. When I pull it from the tube, I see every fish I've caught on that wonderstick, remember every river. I love the patina.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like to iron my waders before each use, it is all about looking good not catching fish hahah ;)

Thanks for the input guys now I don;t know if I should or should not clean it. :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Don't clean it. Why bother - it's just going to discolour again. Washing away all that accumulated fish mojo makes no sense.

Fully removing the patina usually involves sanding the cork. Do that a couple of times (or even once aggressively) and the grip will be noticeably thinner.

I have a rod on which the manufacturer sanded the grip to remove the patina (without asking me) when I sent it in for a repair. I hated it when it came back - never felt right and now it sits in the corner. :mad:

·
Registered
301 Posts
David1123

I use U40 Cork Sealer on my rods, including my custom made Meiser switch rod. It will darken the cork slightly, but you can clean the cork up quickly with soap, water and a little baking soda for some grit if needed. Its very gentle on the cork. I don't use anything else.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Macleanhewitt,

Cork naturally darkens with exposure to sunlight and use. That's the way it's supposed to look. Don't touch it! Most anglers regard the discoloration as the fine patina of long use, not to mention at least the illusion of fish mojo.

Besides, clean waders and rod grip makes you look like a newb. Is that the image you wish to project?

Sg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Macleanhewitt,

Besides, clean waders and rod grip makes you look like a newb. Is that the image you wish to project?

Sg
hahah it depends, I have made it look like I have no idea what I am doing to scare off low-holers :whoa: it works pretty well, especially if you fall in the river :chuckle::chuckle:

Thank you everyone for the input, mojo has been lacking lately with the rod I tried cleaning. Yet another thing to be superstitious about now when fishing :Eyecrazy:

·
Banned
973 Posts
hahah it depends, I have made it look like I have no idea what I am doing to scare off low-holers :whoa: it works pretty well, especially if you fall in the river :chuckle::chuckle:

Thank you everyone for the input, mojo has been lacking lately with the rod I tried cleaning. Yet another thing to be superstitious about now when fishing :Eyecrazy:
That's not it at all. The truth is if you remove the patina you'll have to teach the rod to catch fish again. It's always easier with rods that know how to do it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pictures!

Post a couple and you will most likely get the proper feedback?

Patina is good, bad cork is bad!

I have torn apart more than a few and rebuilt them to the quality they should have been leaving the factory...then let the "patina" do it's thing.

BB~

·
Registered
977 Posts
Do you wear gloves when you fish? If so, try soaking them, then wring out in a clear glass...seriously, might reveal the cause.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts