Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just a point about the apparent limited use of digital video on the site. After reading the attempted descriptions of the single spiral it occurred to me that DV would be an ideal aid for spey casters. A picture paints a thousand words etc...

e.g.(http://www.speycast.co.uk/)

I mean its not rocket science to record and upload a short movie on DV. I'm sure there are plenty about (although I am DV-less !).

A video bank of different casters showing decent singles, doubles, snakes, novel casts etc would be very helpful. This could include the equipment (rod/line etc) used in performing the cast.

Without wishing to sound controversial perhaps their are some folk with something to lose if there is too much DV on the site ? (only joking of course).

cheers,

Tam

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
The issue is bandwidth.

For instance, before our fund-raising to earn a recent server upgrade, we could not dream of it.

I just put up a simple low-res .avi the other day and since then it's been downloaded 238 times @ 2.6 mb for 619mb of bandwidth and counting, it won't be long before it reaches a gb of bandwidth - just one short 30 second low res clip!

So if we do a video library I am thinking we do it as:

1) a subscriber only access thing

2) only the best quality digital video and sound

3) yes it will be copyrighted on behalf of the author(s)

4) the content will have to be premium in terms of being instructional, demonstrative or entertaining

Thoughts?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'd be willing to participate on a subscriber basis, depending of course on the cost of the subscription. $20-30 would be fine with me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd pay to get in on the act. Perhaps you could take down the bad single spey video, and replace it with the Perry Poke. I see my own bad singles all the time.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I stopped adding dv because the bandwidth issue was killing us. yes, dv is easy (I have all the gear necessary to record, edit and compress stuff for the site) but we need to find a more cost-effective solution. I like Juro's idea--but the problem with running sites on the net is that everyone is now used to the idea that it is "free" and very few people are interested in paying for quality stuff. I've gone on about this in the past so I won't rant again here--still a few months left before I do my yearly rant! :devil:

good instructional dv is a few weekends worth of filming then probably a month's worth of part-time editing (remember, I'm still changing diapers!) This would allow me to create a library of all the major and minor spey casts plus other stuff as well that could appear throughout the year. but I don't see the point of embarking on this project unless there is significant interest AND the costs are covered up-front by those who want the images.

I don't mean to sound cranky here but remember that the guys who make this happen basically work for free and often have trouble making certain that monthly expenses are covered. We're 4 years into this now and we have no illusions about making money, but we would like to have the site pay for itself.

okay, so it DID turn into a little rant...

·
Registered
933 Posts
May I suggest that, if you can find the time, work out what it will cost and post the figure. Those who are interested can send in $20-30 per head. Set some time -- say 30 days -- to receive enough money to cover the estimated cost plus 10%. If you receive enough checks within the timeframe, cash them and start production. If you don't, let us know via a post on the board, and burn the checks. No need to worry about sending a check back to anyone and you will know right up-front whether the costs of production will be covered, presuming, of course, that you stay within your budget.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Has anyone looked at the possibility of finding host sites for the videos. Then a link could be posted to the appropriate site. Apparently there are sites that will let you post short video clips.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
We can totally support the bandwidth nowadays to supply video. Right now we are winding down the month and have only used 15% of our allotted bandwidth which is great.

However as Dana mentions it is still something we would want to provide on a limited access model. Providing streaming video to everyone in the free world (while we could support this for a short time) would put a serious hurt on our bandwidth usage. Especially since we seem to keep adding new forum members at an exponential rate.

I do hope we can generate enough interest as it would be a great addition to the speyclave.

-sean

·
Registered
12 Posts
Host site?

Although I am small potatoes compared to some, the passion and desire to host something of this calibur very much interests me. I have contacted Eoin and asked he the interest is there. Just a thought to capture more information on Spey casting as it directly relates to my Steelhead page of my site.

Regards,
Dreamsonthefly

·
JD
3,609 Posts
DV on the web

May I suggest someone check out webshots. com. They have community pages, or something like that, where you can post stills. I don't know about video.

><///('>
JD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts