Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P6134506.jpg

Two dry run. I hadn't tied one before and the top one shows it. The second has adjustments to the tag/body length and hackle size. I didn't stack the fox squirrel tail hair either. The body is copper flat and oval and the herl is natural bonze. Originally the tail calls for Peacock Sword but I think bronze herl for the tail also just seems appropriate. Maybe for the next one. I don't know if it's the choice of hook or what -still looks off to me.

Your thoughts on getting this dialed in please.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I like both of those a lot, and it would take a better eye than mine to give you any advice on dialing in. Especially attractive in the skinny water most of us will be having in the west this season.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - you guys are drying up out there. I'd do a rain-dance for you if it would help...

Your are dead on though as this is a supposed go-to for low clear conditions in Eastern Canada. I just need catch one grey squirrel off his guard and I can finish off others in the series along with Cosseboom patterns.

All on "stand-by." :rolleyes:

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
the hook didn't look off until you mentioned it.
try a mcneese maybe...

anyway, I don't know. the second tie does look better.
I suppose you'll have to gage it upon its success, hey.

cheers,
shawn

·
Administrator
19,096 Posts
I don't know if I can offer too much advice here Vic. I tie the Rat series on Partridge CS10/1 platform, slightly low-water style. I prefer the longer shank compared to the CS10/2. The AJ SI's are nice tied in the smaller sizes.
I do look for more barring in the wing and use the shorter hair to ensure a bit of contrast ... same as the collar. I look for a deep red/brown and often with a black center(Furnace) for the collar ... again for contrast. I even go with natural grizzly collar to ensure everything doesn't blend together on the Copper Rat, which is very easy to do.

I must say that your tying skills are spot on :)

Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
You'd be hard pressed to find a fish that would turn its nose away on those! I'm a firm believer though that those small differences within a pattern can mean the difference between washing flies and fighting fish!

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great suggestions. A baby McNeese hook will bring more of the natural barring/contrast into play at the wing and collar compared to these. Plenty more to consider while Im working on the next selection. Assembling the quad if you will. I totally agree IRT the small details: Could be the difference between the frostlines or rear detachment for these.

G

·
I like them

it's not easy to stay off the gas for the sparse dressing.
these will ride the bus.

ps
I prefer the top hook

1 - 8 of 8 Posts