Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got Mr Shumakov to make me some special Brass long range tubes which are copper plated. I am such a fan of copper cones and tinsels on Steelie and Salmon flies and have had such good success for myself and others using these finishes that it seemed worthwhile to put up the $$ to get some awesome tube bodies made.

Got my first two fish on them yesterday........

Available only at The Irish Angler!

Tie up some Tubes.

I will put up some summer patterns tomorrow

·
Registered
465 Posts
I presume you like these because of the color. But what's the difference between using a copper-plated brass tube versus using a copper tube?

·
Registered
45 Posts
pescaphile said:
I presume you like these because of the color. But what's the difference between using a copper-plated brass tube versus using a copper tube?
I thought maybe the Copper plated brass may be heavier than a copper tube of the same size-but guess not.

Density:
Metal or alloy kg/cu.m

aluminium - melted 2560 - 2640

brass - casting 8400 - 8700
brass - rolled and drawn 8430 - 8730

copper 8930

silver 10490

steel - rolled 7850

steel - stainless 7480 - 8000

tungsten 19600

So the ansewr must be that the machined Tubes are not available in pure copper :D The color is bright copper. Nice..

RL

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep

The difference would be just the weight.

These are plated because they are the specially shaped Half-Inch tubes with the grooves for making cool half-inch patterns.

I could have had them made out of copper but wanted the weight of the brass. For lighter work I have a copper version of the Summer Arrow coming soon.

·
Registered
465 Posts
There's essentially no difference in the weights. That's why I asked the question.

Those are some interesting looking tubes though.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep

They are the same weight, they are the same tubes with a copper plating so they actually probably weight a tiny bit more.

You have to see how the light in the water plays the copper off the tippet strands when these babies are fishing.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A good mistake

Yuri was making up some tubes with Antique Silver finish over Brass tubes and the plater made a mistake. As a result we have some cool new variants in the Shumakov line of tube bodies. The Gun Metal color is a very dark gun metal grey, awesome.

New today

Summer Arrow in Copper and Gun Metal
Skittle in Gun Metal
Long Range Brass in Gun Metal

As soon as I get back from Labrador I will tie up some.

For now, Bugs!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts