Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of a preclave this afternoon. Cool stuff so far:

1. Meiser Mike Kinney rods (cannons with soul)
2. RIO Skagit heads (I'm having a ton of fun tossing these around!)
3. Secret Lines
4. Limited Edition Speypages Flexfits
5. Red Hook ESB

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
if i could

i'd drive up there,if only i could,,,irons burning redhot all around me,unfortunately not made of graphite :rolleyes:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today's cool stuff:

1. Wombat Cast
2. 20ft Hardy
3. GLoomis BBQ
4. meeting Greg Pearson (speypages logo artist)
5. participating in Klem's THCI test
6. dinner at chez Bumpus
7. Red Hook ESB (anyone noticing a theme here?)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
killed me

you killed me=`20 ft. Hardy',bad man,,bad,if i didn't have monday to attend to,i'd drive up there tonight,but,since you've now wounded me mortaly,,i'll ,hack,,cough,,,fade away,i seem to have a parkinsons thing going,,,20 ft. hardy :mad:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Keeping us posted !

Dana,
what about a live video link to keep us updated? ;)
Wish Klem all the best in the test !
20 ft Hardy...... :smokin:
GLoomis barbie....... say Hi to Steve for me !
What on earth is Red Hook ESB ? :confused:
Rio skagit heads....... are they new? Tell us more when you get a chance.
Cascade.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Dana said:
Today's cool stuff:

1. Wombat Cast
2. 20ft Hardy
3. GLoomis BBQ
4. meeting Greg Pearson (speypages logo artist)
5. participating in Klem's THCI test
6. dinner at chez Bumpus
7. Red Hook ESB (anyone noticing a theme here?)
Dana

I thought you would of said something about that nice Coke-Cola :saeek:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brian: YIKES!!!

More cool Sandy Clave stuff:

1. learning a neat new cast that I'd never seen before (stay tuned)
2. The Ogopogo Cast (aka Nessie Cast in the UK)
3. The Improved Ogopogo
4. meeting MJC
5. Steve Rajeff overhead casting
6. casting in the cube

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
The Man Him Self

Chief

I allmost forgot something for you, there was a guy down there looking for you with a huge steelhead that he mounted and he had his new book. He wanted to sign one just for you.
:hihi:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
I'm glad I missed out. The thought of a grown man (or 1/2 grown even) mounting a steelhead is something I find disgusting :p

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
20' Hardy...Men from the Boys

I finally broke out the 20' Hardy Saturday at the Sandy. Rather I finally found a line that loaded it - a 10/11 (original) Grandspey - and it needed all of the 1500 grains.

It was very cool to have the colour change of the GS at the tip of the rod and pick up and lay down the whole line. I won't say it was effortless, but it cast far easier than one would expect. In fact the most difficult thing in fishing it would be holding it on the swing of the fly - even my 4 1/4" Perfect doesn't balance it!

A number of people cast it, some successfully, some not - but it was fun!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Sandy Clave 2005...

Well Mrs Red Shed and I finally made it the the Sandy. We had a great time. I think she had a better time then I did if that was possible. I finally got to shake Dana's hand and watch him cast. Got to visit with lot's of my cyber friends whom I had never met in person. I saw some of the world's best spey casters in action and lots of really great tackle. I saw Juro on the grass laying out some very nice casts that seemed, at least to my duffer's eyes to go on forever. I saw my wife put a fly rod in her hand for the very first time and get two casting lessons from Katherine Hart of Rajeff Sports. We camped right across from the "fighting/drinking squirrels". A group that consisted of some of the sports most laudable members. I camped right down the road from "The Sultan of Splice" and got to visit with him some which I greatly enjoyed. I got to see Olga and Roman belt out cast after cast. They never seemed to run out of energy and they are two of the nicest kids I've ever met! There were lots of other very cool things to see and people to visit. I would take me all night to list it all. Mark Bachmann and crew put on a great event and deserve a lot of praise from the spey community.
Speaking of Mr. Bachmann before we headed home today we drove to Welches to visit his shop. I must say I was "blown away". It is an awesome place. For anyone that has not seen it I highly recommend it as a great place to visit. You will not be sorry. After I left there I looked like this. :Eyecrazy: :whoa: :Eyecrazy:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
"Tip,

I'd bet he probably got that fish on da' pink 'un to boot! ;) I missed out on the fish though since Nora and I were only down for Saturday. :hihi:

Kush,

That 20'er is certainly a "man's rod"! A winter of casting and swinging it would be good training to be an Olympic weight lifter and would probably keep Arnold in condition. It was worth the 2-year wait to get to cast it. You were right, I did not like its action at all-way too slow.

And then there were all the great rods from many manufacturers that could cause a fellow or lady to work overtime amassing the dollars to buy all the rods she or he liked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
cecilbob

The Sandy Clave WAS great indeed, and for a truely new comer to the two handed casting world; I will say that the entire weekend was nothing less than FUNtastic, and one of the most educational two days that I have spent in a long while!

The opportunity to see some of the great ones so artfully demonstrate their high levels of skill was, well sincerely inspirational! Additionally, to meet most of the demonstrators one-on-one,,and have had the pleasure of finding these folks to be just down to earth good folks as well, made my day(s) too!

I would last, like to extend my heartfelt THANKS to all of the people who put this years great Spey Clave together, and to all of those whom gave so generously to full our insides as well, a sincere THANKS to all of you too!

As for those of you who were unable to be with everyone in my home town and back yard (Yea, I live just a few minutes from Oxbow, and even less from the Sandy which I guess does make her my "home waters"); sorry you missed this years wonderful event. Hope that you can attend next year.

I will most definatly will be there!

Bob

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had a GREAT time, I want to thank all the reps that were soooo good about letting anyone cast their rods. And a HUGE thanks to Mark B and the Welches fly shop for the lunchs and GLoomis for the BBQ dinner. I was shocked that they didn't even have a "donation" jar to help out with their cost. They fed a lot of us. The rods were great but come on - hot food is the best!

I have to pass four fly shops to get to welches but I do it often just because of Mark's support of Spey casters, Thanks Mark.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Long Live the River Run Clan

What a most excellent event ! Seeing old friends and making new ones. Casting the finest of graphite, crafted by some of, if not the best, custom builders. Unfortunately, Meise remembered to return my raincoat, avoiding the penalty of owing me rod :lildevl: . Watching the master of smooooooth, Mr. Andy Murray and a host of other fine Spey casters. Fishing with NextCast (Bert) and returning just in time for steak and baked potato courtesy of Mike Kinney’s culinary skills… who says the Irish can’t cook a potato.
The Scotch drinking squirrels/bears are with out a doubt among the finest of folks, and I am honored to call them my friends. Mr. Phelps, thanks for the loan of the shovel.
It is with great pleasure that I serve as this year’s president of the weight forward belly club, the club with no dues, no monthly meetings, and the ever popular motto: Do as you please.
I had a great time,
Rich

1 - 18 of 18 Posts