Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a clip of a cool cast sent to me by speypages member McIntyre with these notes:

I send you a video clip which I got permission from my friend, Per Knudsen
(the caster) to share with you. It shows a Spey cast which we called the
z-cast. It's kind of looks like an arealized snap-T. I haven't seen any
other do this cast, but I'm not quite sure if anyone has done it before.
However, Per invented it by his own. The rod is a GLX 14' and the line is a
Hardy shooting head. The cast is best performed with a shooting head or a
short belly spey line. It's also possible to do it with a medium and even a
long belly line, but with such long belly it's not easy to shoot some much
line with this cast. With this cast it's very easy even for beginners to
make a huge change of direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
It kind of reminds me of Steve Choate's spiral single, only with a snap instead of a spiral.

Very cool.

Gillie

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Very nice video. It reminds me of the aerialized snap t of Gunter Feuerstein. Al Buhr has a similar aerialized version of the single spey that uses a very quick "z" as part of the lift, which causes the line to jump to the single spey anchor, and off you go.

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
Dornblaser said:
It is a cool cast. It is hard to tell from the video, but is the anchor more than a rod's length upstream? How big is the D loop?

David
Hello guys.

With a shooting head the anchor point could be set pretty much how far from the body as the caster wants it. But the problem with longer bellies it that the anchor point comes pretty far from the caster making it difficult to get a narrow loop.

D-loop will be about as big as with a snake-roll.

It mostly is a funny cast since the most of the situations where it would be used could be covered by a single spey as well. It think however it would be great for fishing with dry flies on the spey rod as the Z dries the fly and you could easily make an upstream cast.

As mentioned I'm not quite sure if this cast has been shown before, there are so many different cast out there know so it's difficult to tell the difference of some of them.

Oddbjørn

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
What application is needed

to view the movie? Thanks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
cast

Great video--Gary Champion did a cast something like this at the Grand River Clave in October. He was doing a 180 degree change of direction.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cool But - - -

Looks very cool, but the timing to make that mid air loop looks like a practice sink hole. Who knows; could be a snap.

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
hisgarness said:
Looks very cool, but the timing to make that mid air loop looks like a practice sink hole. Who knows; could be a snap.
Hi!

The timing are not critical at all, but with very fast rods it pays to try to slow it down a little.

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
For about four months i have been using two casts as much as possible the first is the snake roll the other a spiral single with a airflow skagit head and 10 to 15 foot assorted tips and a 1408 ls2. My spiral single has a softer and more vertical kick but i am hitting the stilly before work and I think I will try more of a horizontal snap to it and see how that works. A spiral single with a perry poke is my best cast but I have been playing around with touch and go type casts with heavy style heads . scandoskagit or just lost in the shuffle

·
Registered
239 Posts
A very neat cast and a cool video! Steve demonstrated a similar cast, with the pickup behind the head, which was (as rumor has it, invented by his friends Doug and Billy on a drunk night on the Cowlitz) at the second Spey Clave, and I believe single hand caster extraordinare Paul Arden calls it a "snap spey":

http://www.sexyloops.com/movies/bundle.shtml

It's actually very useful if you are skating a fly and it drowns. The snap move "pops" water off the fly, much like a snap pick up with an overhead cast.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I use this cast all the time when practicing on still water.

It is especially useful when the line is not laid out straight in front of you. The first part of the pickup aerializes part of the line and straightens the rest, the second gets it all airborne. Then you simply concentrate on throwing the best D-Loop you can as near as possible to 180-degrees from the target, then you know the rest.

It definitely requires a certain rythym, but I would not say it is that difficult.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts