Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture/diagram on the pawl placements for converting to RH wind?
Thanks.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
This is my Young's Beaudex 4" wide:

It was originally set as LHW:

I have tried all combinations, and the only one which is as a definite RHW (incoming clicker light, outgoing clicker stronger) is this setting:

It should be noted that, as you look at the interior of the reel as shown, the right hand pawl is engaged ("E"), and the left hand pawl is non-engaged ("NE")

hth :)

Mike

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, but

I set mine (4") up per the drawing, and it appeared to be for LH wind. Meaning the frequency of the clicks is much lower, and tension feel greater when retrieving than when dispensing line when winding with RH.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Could be a spring tension problem??

Try switching the springs over??

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on the drawing with the E active, I would think that a RHW would move the pawl tip to the right thereby contacting the spring closer to the pivot point (a shorter lever), and cause the greatest tension. Am I analyzing this incorrectly?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pawls

Please see attached pictures. The reel is a Pridex which is identical to the Beaudex other than the drag adjustment. Both have the right pawl as the "functioning" pawl. First pic with the pawl as is will have more resistance incoming versus outgoing. Second pic shows pawl that will have more resistance outgoing versus incoming. Second pic shows the pawl identical to "Speyducer's" pic.

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Olay!

I agree 100%. Did not realize the pawl was not symmetrical, and that turning it over is yet, a different adjustment. Easier to see once physically removed.
Thanks to all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts