Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I we just borrowed a RIO windcutter spey with tips, but how do I connect the leaders to the Clear int. tip?

I’m new to spey casting but have a lot of experience with the underhand cast, will it be the same style, just with a longer belly?

What type of leaders do you guys use? Normally we use the poly tips/leaders with the short shooting heads will they work? Or will normal monofil salmon leaders do the job better?

Best regards Torben

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
I normally mount braided mono loops on all my line tips. But another nice option is whipping a loop (see Dana's article in the newsletter section called connections), or what I do in emergency situations use an albright knot to a 30 or 40 pound mono leader butt (depending on line weight), just like you would attach backing to fly line. Just don't trust nail knots to clear intermediate lines, even though they have come a long way in the last 5 years.

·
Registered
465 Posts
An albright knot works well for this application.

Another option, unless the tip's mono core is too thin, is to strip some of the tip's coating and connect your butt section using a blood knot.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Imho

For my 10 cents...
I used to use sink tips.
Now I just use poly leaders.

I would make a small loop at the end of the line using your preferred method.
Then use an intermediate or higher density polyleader.

If you want to get deeper and stay deeper then go to an intermediate or full sinking head instead of a floater. On this setup you will still use the sinking polys on the tip.

·
Registered
60 Posts
spey or underhand

Hi Torben,

Why do you want to change from the underhand cast to spey cast? To the Karup river is it much better with the shooting head to fish. The short head loads the rod many more simply. With the spey cast the whole long belly must be used for lodging the rod. I tried a Rio spey (15m belly) at the Skjern river and make these experience, but your own experiences become perhaps differently to my one.

T.L.
Henning

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Henning

As you write, the underhand cast with short bellies is much easier than the Spey cast in the Karup River. But when fishing for salmon in Guala, it feels like I’m using my whole holiday catching up shooting line. By the way, are you familiar with the sea trout fishing in the Karup River and the salmon fishing in Skjern River? Those 2 rivers is about 30 km from where I live.

Tight line Ibsen

·
Registered
60 Posts
I fish gladly in both rivers! The skjern river is 160 km north away from me. I will certainly soon drive to the skjern river, and than I am always have to visit the big fly-fishing store there.(the nice casting pool) Unfortunately the weather is always dear, so I don’t now the date.

Henning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts