Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congratulations to our resident bespoke bootmaker. He was awarded the bootmaker of the year, and had a nice two page splash in the Bend, OR paper.
I stayed at a motel and happened to open a Bend paper while having breakfast. As with Playboy in the good old days, I mostly looked at the pictures; I did not notice any mention of his spey passion.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
Congrats, DW!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Really great story, Absolutely beautiful work! It's really nice to see someone honored for their impressive quality handmade crafmanship. Unfortunately, it adds a pair of Frommers to my "someday" list of Meisers, SpeyCos, Reids & Clays. I'm never gonna be able to stop working. Many congrats Mr. Frommer! Found this link from the Bend Bulletin, thanks for the heads up Stumpy: http://www.bendbulletin.com/lifesty...d-boot-maker-recognized-for-lifetime-of-work#

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks everyone...I was out of town on Monday and I didn't see this posting from Stumpy until just this morning.

One disclaimer however...esp. relevant to the newspaper itself: The photo of the black and yellow (beige actually) boots--they are not mine. They were made for the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in 1851 by John Nelson Hefford of Derby England.

I passed the photo on the the reporter to illustrate the quality and finesse that earlier generations brought to shoe and bootmaking. A level of craftsmanship that simply cannot be duplicated today. The were stitched at 53 stitches to the inch all by hand. Take a needle and try to make 53 "dots" on a piece of paper within the space of an inch and you'll see how difficult this was. And 53spi wasn't the finest ever recorded--64 was catalogued by June Swann who was for years the Keeper of the Shoe Collection at the Northampton Museum, and considered one of the world's foremost authorities on shoe history and construction.

Again thanks for the mention and the kind words...

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
Congratulations! I have a deep appreciation for the work you are doing.

I know and shoot with Bill Shanor and have seen his boot work. I actually had him build me a pair of hunting moccasins that are to this day, 15 years later, the best fitting footwear I own! Craftsmanship lasts a life time!

·
Registered
188 Posts
He does make some AMAZING boots! Congrats!! As a leather guy myself, I aspire to create "Bespoke" quality, and guys like DWFII do it every day...

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Hey congrats buddy! Of course, I knew you were a legend back in the eighties when you were making boots. I remember articles about you back then. Man, your a war horse. Hope you get more time on the river soon.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey congrats buddy! Of course, I knew you were a legend back in the eighties when you were making boots. I remember articles about you back then. Man, your a war horse. Hope you get more time on the river soon.
Thanks, SM,

If I'm a war horse, I'm looking fondly at the pasture--the "out to" kind.

I changed my stable around since I last saw you even though I didn't fish any. Sold my Platinum Switch and bought a Platinum 7132, added a Sage 6126 One and a Deer Creek 4110.

Feeling much improved, should be fishing this year but there's a lot going on...trips and events--it may be hit or miss up until Sept.. Hope to get together with you.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'll be damned. I had no idea that DWFII was DW the boot maker. I met him about 20 years ago while I was living in Wyoming. Sort of randomly stopped by the shop while passing through Redmond and visited for about an hour. When I got back to Wyo I remember telling all my friends that the best boot maker in the country was in Redmond OR they said Bull Sh******. The Blucher and Wilson cheerleaders just couldn't accept that their personal favorites were actually second tier.

Now the fact is out in the open for all to hear. DW, good on you for getting the recognition you have deserved for a long, long time. And, you have the spey affliction as well! What a small but entertaining world.

CT

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Thanks, SM,

If I'm a war horse, I'm looking fondly at the pasture--the "out to" kind.

I changed my stable around since I last saw you even though I didn't fish any. Sold my Platinum Switch and bought a Platinum 7132, added a Sage 6126 One and a Deer Creek 4110.

Feeling much improved, should be fishing this year but there's a lot going on...trips and events--it may be hit or miss up until Sept.. Hope to get together with you.
I think that Beulah Platinum spey will be the ticket! Maybe we will slip out and give it a whirl this fall!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts