Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed we now have "Ads By Google" on one of the banners. I clicked the link to "Tube Flies", which led me to a list of fishing related links. One of them being "Fishing Hurts.com". I only looked briefly, but it appears to be a PETA off shoot of some sort that starts out explaing the health problems related to fish consumption, then goes into cruelity to fish, etc.

I thought it a bit odd to be adverstised here.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Jamey,

I have brought this up with the moderators and it will get looked into. Help me shorten my search - which banner are you referring to?

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right above the "post a reply" button on the page your looking at. The selection of links seems to rotate. Theres one for "Fly Fishing", "Free Vbulletin", "Spey Fly Rod", "Spey rods" as I am looking at it. I click on the "Tube Flies" link when it comes around, and about 3-4 links down the list is the "FishingHurts.com", its titled "Reasons not to eat salmon", with a link underneath. I imagine its just a randomly generated list of sites that have "fishing" or something similar in the title.

Somebody else speak up if you can see the links, I am beginning to wonder if its the toolbar my ISP provides running wild, I have been having problems with it.

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Sponsors?

I'd wonder what the sponsor shops and tackle manufacturers think of these links...

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
This is just a little experiment. Google ads can be a quick an easy revenue stream (already made $25 in 2 days which adds up quick) but we have no control over what is displayed. And folks like peta can pay for adverts with google and get placement like they have. Thing is every time you click on there site they gotta pay google ad fees so a little fisherman pay back if you just keep clicking it as they will have to pay for ads falling on deaf ears.

I am thinking I am going to get rid of this though as I feel a little uneasy about sponsor implications and such. Will probably just put a google search box up on the site that members can use to search the web. That way we can still make some extra revenue but not have to see ads.

-sean

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Good catch Jamey :smokin:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
While I realize that generating revenue to keep this site running is an important task I will say that as a site sponsor and also as a member that I greatly dislike those little links running across there.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
MJC said:
While I realize that generating revenue to keep this site running is an important task I will say that as a site sponsor and also as a member that I greatly dislike those little links running across there.
As a guy who has my 'credit card number' committed to memory ... I can understand the why of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts