Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a number of threads in the past concerning attaching coneheads to a tube fly. Instead of fitting the conehead onto the tube, does it make any sense to just thread a conehead onto your line in front of the tube?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
I am still in the infant stage in my tube fly fishing and tying but I have seen some of the regulars do just that. First the conehead, then the tube then the hook.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
.02 cents worth here.

I've tried that and was not pleased with how the fly worked under water; found that just a touch of cryognc. glue will usually hold the heads in place. Assuming cone head will fit over the end of tube. "Do the Glue," then tie the fly.

Most of the time I just use lead wire (.015 to .025 depending upon heavy I want the tube) as an under body.
fae

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
You could always "peg" the cone in place, a piece of tooth pick wouldn't bruise the line. It's not a bad idea, you can vary the weight according to the water, just carry an assortment of cones, hmmm.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A tube fly is supposed to have the advantage that the fly moves away from the fish and hook and doesn't get chewed up. A toothpick might prevent that.

HMH (Kennebec River Tackle) sells some very small "cut to length" plastic tubes. You get 24 4" lengths for I think $4. Cut off about one inch and shave the tip down until it fits tightly into the hole of the cone head. The tiny tube is small enough to be inserted into the front end of most tube flies. You can leave the cone off if you want, or insert it when you need more weight. The OD of the tubes is 3/32 of an inch.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have fished tubes exclusively for steelhead for the past 3 seasons. All of my flies have some form or another of hook-holder. I've tried it without, but I just don't like the uncertainty of not knowing where the hook is when a fish takes. The hooks rarely comes out of the holder. The advantage of the short shank hook is not lost however, as the hook-holder is flexible.

The value of having the tube slide up the line is only realized when you are fishing for toothy saltwater beasties that will shred the fly - steelhead don't wreck many flies. Therefore, pinned cones will not pose a problem.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
HMH sells the double walled tubes...just pop out the inside tube and you can pop lock a cone on it and slide it back in under the standard tube.

This sort of system allows you to change the weight of your fly very easily as you can probally see.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Tubes

I have been fishing tubes quite a bit in the last two - three years and prefer the aluminum tubes to most other varietys out there. Brass tends to be too heavy and difficult to cast effectively. Plastic just the opposite, too light. Aluminum tubes up to three inches seem to be just about right? I have never tried to add weight to the tube itself as I am not sure what advantage this would give you. I prefer to use sink tip lines and a short leader in most situations to get the fly down to the correct depth. Good Luck and Tight Lines!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts