Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to tie some cone head tube flies. Can anyone give me any tips about fixing the conehead to the tube?

Also is it best to tie the fly and fit the conehead last or to fit the conehead first? I guess its easier to get a neat fly if the head is fitted last but it seems it may be harder to fix in this order.

Phil

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Irish Angler

A sponsor has a DVD, Modern Salmon Flies - Tying on Tubes by Mikael Frödin that shows in detail how to dress this style of tube fly. The cone goes on last in Mikael's method. They look great. Jack Cook stocks all of the needed components.

http://www.irishangler.com/

·
Registered
49 Posts
I heard that DVD was going to be released in an English version sometime around the FFR Show in Denver. Anyone heard any more on this?

B

·
Registered
320 Posts
HMH makes cones that fit perfectly over their aluminum tubes .

·
Registered
131 Posts
DrPhil said:
I am looking to tie some cone head tube flies. Can anyone give me any tips about fixing the conehead to the tube?

Also is it best to tie the fly and fit the conehead last or to fit the conehead first? I guess its easier to get a neat fly if the head is fitted last but it seems it may be harder to fix in this order.

Phil
I had this same quandry when I wanted to tie up some cone head temple dogs this past year. However, I quickly realized, that in my hands at least, putting the cone on last was the only way. These were tied on the thinnest plastic tubes available from HMH and I later found that the plastic broke too easily. It seemed the heat sealing to hold in the cone left the tube brittle and weak at that point. Next time I tie these I'll at least go up to the next thickness of tube.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Drop of Zap

Mikael Frödin uses a drop of superglue to help attach the cone to the fly, then melts the plastic back to help hold the cone.

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
I have been using the Michael Froden fly system tubing supplied by Guide Line for this type of tube fly. Here in the States I get it from one of the site sponsors http://www.flyfishusa.com/. I glue a size small piece of tubing inside a large size piece of tubing (you need tubing 2 sizes apart) using Loctite 414 a superglue designed specifically for vinyl. Leave about 3/8" of the smaller tubing sticking out one end of the larger tubing and cut to a length that leaves the other end of the larger tubing free of the smaller tubing for about 1/4". This quarter inch can be used to seat the hook eliminating the need for a piece of junction tubing. Tie the fly on the larger size tube only and when done slip a cone head on the smaller tubing up against the shoulder of the larger tubing and heat the smaller tubing exposed end to seal the cone head on the fly. No glue necessary and this particular tubing does not seem to break where it has been heated. The Loctite 414 superglue is the tricky part. You can only get it at gear shops, i.e., shops that specialize in gears, hydraulic hoses and the like for heavy equipment. You want the 1 oz. bottle which will cost about $18 USD. Store it in the refrigerator when not using and always tap the nozzle clear and you will be able to use the complete bottle without it plugging or drying out.

Regards,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, very helpful.

I have tried a few of these tips and have some flies to try out next month in Scotland.

Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts