Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short Bellied Lines Lead to Injuries

In a report released today in the Northwest Journal of Sport Fishing Kinesiology, disturbing evidence that recent trends in spey casting are leading to discomfort, injury and even death. The report, authored by doctors David Long, Nancy Lines and Steven Rule of O. Mykiss University is the culmination of an intensive research study looking at repetitive injuries received from Skagit casting.

“We started hearing that we might have a problem in pockets of Western Washington”, said Dr. Lines. “Once we started the research though, it became apparent that in the last few months, it has reached epidemic proportions and spread throughout North America and across borders.”, she added. Dr. Rule reports that the “the level of physical injury we discovered mirrors that of the famous Opti-Grab fiasco documented in the 1980’s movie The Jerk.” “It is the only other thing that comes close to the magnitude of people injured from what they thought to be a helpful product”, he said.

According to the trio of highly respected researchers, the injuries fall into two main categories: abnormal and non-symmetrical muscle build-up from repeated line stripping and second, injuries associated with proximity to extremely high line speeds. In both categories, the trio has documented numerous cases of personal injury and even death.

Repetitive stripping syndrome (RSS) is by far the major offender in terms of shear numbers of casters injured. Dr. Lines commented that “our bodies were not meant to make that motion over and over and over and over again. Forcing our bodies to do so results in non-symetical muscle mass build-up. Basically, he said, you end up with people that look like Popeye on one side and Pee-Wee on the other”. The group has documented cases of severe curvature of the spine as well as numerous chiropractic irregularities.

At least one recent death was attributed to RSS. In this case from central Michigan, the first Skagit casting death outside of NW Washington, an angler slipped in heavy current and was washing into a slow deep backwater. Although an accomplished swimmer, the disproportionate muscle mass on his stripping side resulted in the man swimming in circles until he finally became fatigued and went under.

The other main category of injury is even more startling. High Line Speed Interaction (HLSI) has quickly replaced Powerbait allergies as the leading cause of angling injury. “Those that are proselytizing this casting method are able to obtain almost superhuman line speed”, said Dr. Long. Documented cases of second and third degree burns to fingers and faces are commonplace. “These simply are from being in close proximity to the line as it blasts out” said Long.

The group has identified at least thirteen deaths in the last year attributed to HLSI. These range from blunt force trauma from accidental impact with 4-5” long weighted lures to a Concrete, WA man who knocked himself unconscious and subsequently drowned.

A high number of additional cases of hearing loss have been tied directly to HLSI. “Such high line speeds are achieved that these guys are breaking the sound barrier and the resulting sonic-cast-boom is damaging hearing”, reported Dr. Rule. Complicating this is the tendency for these Skagit casters to use short double-handed rods which keep the resulting sonic explosion in close to their ears.

The group, while saying its findings are quite concerning, admits that things could be far worse. Dr Lines says it appears that the negative impacts would be much greater if these casters were also focusing on arrow shaped loop generation. “Some think these loops are just pretty, Lines said, but this is where the real danger lies!” He likened this to letting a child play with a scalpel or a hand grenade. “You wouldn’t do that would you?” he asked.

Another factor greatly limiting injuries appears to be the very low number of people able to teach this harmful type of casting. There appears to be a large number of people that think they know how to do it but only two or three that understand the intricacies enough to fully comprehend it, reported Dr. Rule. If these three become injured or deaf, the problem might just self-select out.

It appears that in addition to the health issues involved in Skagit style casting, there are economic costs as well. The Organization for Tackle Fashion has recently begun a project to quantify the costs to consumers from custom garment tailoring as a result of single-side bulking up due to RSS. A Bush administration spokesman had no comment when asked if the White House was concerned this phenomenon might hamper the nation’s economic recovery. Even so, as of the time this article is going to press, at least 5 state legislatures and the Republic of Puerto Rico are considering legislation to ban Skagit Casting.

Byline: Harry S. Kelts
Double Handed Weekly

:whoa: :eek: :whoa:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Tip...

Very informative article. The next thing you know the AMA and the CDC will declare Skagit casting to be a health issue and will want an official statement from the Surgeon General as to the related health risks of this Skagit casting practice with printed warnings on all Skagit casting tackle about the health risks to small children and pregnant women. Then before you know it some state Attorney Generals and district attorneys for local municipalities will be wanting to sue the rod and line manufacturers for any damages caused by the unlawful use of Skagit tackle in the inner cities. It will then take an act of Congress to prevent these frivolous lawsuits and the eventual bankruptcy of the tackle manufacturers after they have expended all their monetary resources fighting off these legal challenges to their lawful business ventures. :whoa:

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
wow, you are quite the fabricator of ficticious farse! nicely done! :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: it got a few chuckles, espcecially the sonic boom part.

vinnie

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
o_clarki_clarki said:
wow, you are quite the fabricator of ficticious farse! nicely done! :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: it got a few chuckles, espcecially the sonic boom part.

vinnie
What do you mean "fabricator of ficticious farse!"

I've had these problem for years now!!!!!

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Dana, too funny.

brian, sorry to hear that dude. i have never done or had anything of that nature happen to me nor have i been whacked in the face to be left with a huge welt that the wife still wonders about. :cool: :lildevl: :eek: :Eyecrazy: :hihi: :D :eek: :saeek: :p :rolleyes:

vinnie

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I have this rss thing I think. My affliction is a little different though.
I cast both short and long lines and have developed a large middle section
instead of the large arm from stripping. Has Dr. Lines made any mention of this condition.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
All most forgot!!!

With my NEW QUATTRO TIP SPEY LINE my problems will be gone. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
!!!

I wish that I could respond with the proper rhetoric to debunk this obviously slanted propoganda, but it has become too difficult for me to sit for any length of time at the computer because of the immense weight of my grossly enlarged left arm.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Man Tip, how do you remeber stuff like "Opti-Grab fiasco documented in the 1980’s movie The Jerk". Yer killing me. Very cool.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't worry Ed, I hear there will be a response coming soon from the religious right.

Word has it there will also be an article out soon in the American Psychiatric Journal of Casting Sciences entitled "Long Rods, Long Lines and Short Units: What the Long Bellied Crowd is Really Hiding" I have yet to read it but hear it exposes widespread fear of an undersized D-Loop.

Won't it be nice when we can all just go back to fishing? :p

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
sinktip said:
Don't worry Ed, I hear there will be a response coming soon from the religious right.

Word has it there will also be an article out soon in the American Psychiatric Journal of Casting Sciences entitled "Long Rods, Long Lines and Short Units: What the Long Bellied Crowd is Really Hiding" I have yet to read it but hear it exposes widespread fear of an undersized D-Loop.

Won't it be nice when we can all just go back to fishing? :p
You mean I'm going to have a new problem with my long belly line. :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy:

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Tip

This is the best thing I have read in long time.
:chuckle:
Remember the Weight Forward Rules.
:smokin:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Mr Tip
Unfortunately you have failed to notify the public that there are ongoing trials in progress that will ensure that Skagit casting does not result in unilateral bulking - if I understood correctly the Ethics Comitee has approved new research techneiques that will allow no more than 15 minutes casting off one shoulder at a time. As part of the inclusion criteria participants are required to have a water craft and be able to move from one bank to another. They are fitted with a research devise that emits a warning blast when they exeed their alloted time on one shoulder - if the participants do not respond to the warning blast they are subjected to an increasing series of electrical reminders untill they either change banks and hence dominant arms or are rendered incapable of continuing with the arm in question. On completion of the trial the proposal is that all Skagit casters be fitted with the devise by law - Hence shall Skagit casting be made safe for all !
Respectfully Submitted
speydoc

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lopsided Casters

Sinktip,
I think you missed your calling. I don't know how long it took you you contrive this piece, or whether it was just an extemporaneous outpouring, it is none-the-less a work of art.
There is a cure for the "lopsided skagit caster". I recommend a procedure called an "ambidexterotomy. It's best administered while on the water in the non-dominate arm. I think it's called PRACTICE!
Keep it up! Your little "tid-bit' made my day.....................
Stan

The road to fly casting excellance is a never ending journey.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Ooops!

Ooops!

Peter,

I had second thoughts on this photo so I took it down while you were posting. I am not sure whether your last post was referring to your photo or this one. I did not want offend our UK friends. I hope that it does not. Nonetheless, here goes again:

Here is a picture of a Scot in pre-Spey training. Notice that the arms are perfectly tucked in close towards the body. The "cast" is towards the tree line. The uniform bulk of his muscles indicates that this gentleman can cast from either side.

Best,
Daivd Dornblaser

·
Registered
886 Posts
Dornblaser said:
Ooops!

Here is a picture of a Scot in pre-Spey training. Notice that the arms are perfectly tucked in close towards the body. The "cast" is towards the tree line. The uniform bulk of his muscles indicates that this gentleman can cast from either side.

Best,
Daivd Dornblaser
David, the poor man is obviosly Skagit casting you can clearly see the brick like object sailing out, the rod is having to move so fast that it has all but disappeared.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts