Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,134 Posts
I did. Make sure you buy the most expensive reel for the most expensive rod. You'll catch more fish and cast way further.
And everyone will step to the side and bow in awe as you sashay your royal tush to the water, festooned in your finery! :Eyecrazy:

Nobody invented it...........it just happened. :wink2:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I think anyone who ever fought a tip up or down all day, or had a line that wouldn't fit on a reel, or one that required 700 yds of backing to fill, or a fish that crushed someone or, conversely, was overmatched by the gear they were using. I don't know that is a concept, just searching for something fun/satisfying to use together.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Do anyone know who invented the concept of matching rod & reel ?
Archimedes with his lever probably has formal dibs, and then Isaak Newton. :)

It is just physical balancing of a lever, plus/minus a little personal aesthetics for fun. I assume the balance part has been independently rediscovered through trial and error by farmers, builders and fishermen, not to mention the guy at the market operating the scale, since ancient Mesopotamian times. Maybe since the first cave man picked up a stick. Any fly fisherman, ever, who claimed to have “invented” it would be sort of an idiot.

Still I get what you are asking. Actual reels, beyond line holders, haven’t been around that long. But Im sure as soon as there was the first something someone slapped on there people immediately started arguing about which characteristics were best, including the looks.

·
Administrator
18,628 Posts
Found my screen cleaner !!

Archimedes with his lever probably has formal dibs, and then Isaak Newton. :)
I will give you credit for finding my screen cleaner !!
After I sprayed my monitor with coffee this morning and the coughing stopped ... and I stopped laughing, I found the screen cleaner that rolled under my desk :)

Mike

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Naw, it was Joe Howell @ the Blue Heron fly shop when some guy came in to buy some flies or something to fish for steelhead & said he was using one of those spring loaded auto wind reels. Joe told him those steelhead would destroy that reel, but the guy insisted he had caught 10lb plus bass on that reel & off he went.

He returned later on in the day, with that reel in pieces. Joe just said I told you & sold him a single action reel. ROF

·
Spey Is The Way
958 Posts
It's not a concept. It's what we do, and we spend thousands of dollars while doing it.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
I'm confused.

Are we talking about color coordination or weight / size balancing?

Assuming you are serious I'm thinking those are what you mean.

I recently had the original reel seat removed from my Sage One 13 1/2 foot eight weight and replaced with an Alps triangle seat in gloss black to match the rod.

Glad I did it, never liked the weird colored stock reel seat that didn't match any reel I own or could buy.

While the seat was being changed I bought a new all black Spectrum Max reel for the now all black outfit, that's matching your gear I think :)

Now that! That will catch more fish!

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Probably someone at the Golden Gate Casting & Angling Club in Frisco. lol They were always on the cutting edge of everything fly fishing. Back in the day, they cast without any reel at all in the distance competition. There are still, to this day, members of that club who's "reel" is a tippet spool jerry rigged to the rod. Always felt weird to me & I like to go one size larger on the reel & have been known to add weight to that! That hard stop can put some serious strain on your arm if practice enough to get good with the heavier weight outfits in preparation for a Tarpon trip. LMAO

·
Registered
122 Posts
I get altogether too carried away with matching reel seat to reel foot, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I'm quite into the bronze version of the Sage Spey reel, it sort of matches an Igniter okay but it looks a bit wrong on an X with that black reel seat. Should I get the stealth/platinum version even though I'm not that keen? For the time being I've decided not to be a tart and just live with it. Yet it twitches away at the back of my brain like an inner ear itch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts