Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a very heavy floating head, someting in the 900-1000grn range at around 65' or 70' to fish on a 16' Clan Ghillies Choice 10-12wt. This rod needs a big load to do the work its capable of. I would prefer a full line. Wondering if some of the heavier competition heads-like a Vector Magnum (or other similar lines) are fishable tapers as floaters or have the capacity to be cut/looped and fished with tips. I know little to nothing about the profiles of these type of lines.
Thanks for any input.

Tom

·
Lagartun Pro Staff
439 Posts
Any of the 75,85, or 95 Carron lines will suit your needs. The Gaelforce 80' or nextcast comp heads will as well.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,979 Posts
That rod needs 900-950 grains max
There is a new Gaelforce fishing line coming out in a 70ft head that you might look at

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Looking for a very heavy floating head, someting in the 900-1000grn range [...]. I would prefer a full line. Wondering if some of the heavier competition heads-like a Vector Magnum (or other similar lines) are fishable tapers as floaters or have the capacity to be cut/looped and fished with tips.
The lines marketed as dedicated competition heads (Vector, NextCast, Gaelforce) are back-weighted shooting heads, little to no back taper and long front tapers. The Vector is particularly extreme, very long front taper. Certainly they are fishable as floaters, but, these are very heavy lines, 11/12 class. I have cast an uncut Vector Series I ([email protected]) on a Mackenzie DTX 16' 11wt, works fine, but heavy load even on that rod, which is no shrinking violet. Some will need a lot of chopping to get into the range of a fishing rod, the Gaelforce for example is listed at RedShed as [email protected]'.

I've never tried to cut one of these lines for tips. On the one hand, they are very serious lines with a lot of mass, on the other, the front taper is very long.

Full lines in current production with 70'+ heads, you could try a Carron. Or, you could try a Carron.

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Rio Grand Spey

If you can find an old Grand Spey line, they were monsters in the neighborhood of 1100 gr @ 90 ft for a 10/11, & hefty enough to loop on damn near any sink tip without the need to cut them back!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I have cast Skagit belly with Scandi head as the tip to have very heavy over 1000 gr but not too long Spey line. Vision and Guideline Skagit bellys have quite nice tapers already.

Esa

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Comp/heavy heads....

Thanks for the responses.
Bruce's suggestion in the 900 grn range sounds right to me.
I think what I am looking for is a GPS 10/11 Intermediate sink mid-belly:[email protected]'.
Maybe I have to see if I can get one from Japan. Has anybody tried this avenue for ordering one?? Are CND products still in production over there?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
One other possible option.

Thanks for the responses.
Bruce's suggestion in the 900 grn range sounds right to me.
I think what I am looking for is a GPS 10/11 Intermediate sink mid-belly:[email protected]'.
Maybe I have to see if I can get one from Japan. Has anybody tried this avenue for ordering one?? Are CND products still in production over there?

Thanks,
Tom
Contact Steve Godshall (SGS here) and see if he can build you one that size. I say 'if' as this is a pretty heavy line and I don't know what 'bits and pieces' he has in something that range. A quick test of that would be to go to Bob Meizer's web site (he's a Sponsor here) and see if he builds 'somewhat' of a comparable rod. If he does, Steve can build the line would be my guess.

Better yet you'll have the line in your mail box in just a few days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts