Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where has common courtesy gone, I sometimes wonder...?

I was contacted by a fellow board member over the weekend asking about the Burkie I had for sale in the classifieds. First a low ball offer. Then another offer when I politely refused. There a couple more PMs before he agreed to the asking price on the condition that I could get the rod to him by Thursday so that he could use it for a fishing trip.

We exchanged contact info, and had a conversation this morning at 9.30am. I told him I wasn't sure how much expidited shipping would cost, and I would take time off my work schedule to drop by a UPS store to check. I told him the deal would go ahead as long as shipping didn't exceed $50. Through our conversation, he found out that I would be shipping from Canada. Saving him import taxes and any courier handling fees since item was being shipped to Ontario. I told him funds are in us$ and payment was in PayPal gift. No worries if he didn't want it and I'm on the fence about parting with this rod.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I'm at the UPS store. Found out shipping would cost $60+insurance and will get there by Wedesnday afternoon. No problem, I told him. I'll handle the extra shipping and rod will be there one day earlier. He texts me back, "sorry I changed my mind as I thought funds were in c$". At this point I'm obviously annoyed, having gone out of my way to accommodate him "needing" the rod by his deadline. I text him expressing my feelings, stating that I thought that he had plenty of time to let me know via text/PM/call that he had changed his mind. No worries. Life goes on. I express to him to be more considerate of everybody's time in the future. That I was going to put him on my ignore list. He texts me back that he is glad he didn't buy the rod from me because I was "rude". At this point I'm thinking WTF? Probably lost my cool a little and called him "loser". He then texts me back

"Ok. Childish mother ****er"
"Hahahaa I hope you break the rod in a ceiling"

Seriously? Is it okay to jerk someone around and not expect them to be a little annoyed? Where has common courtesy gone?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
In the age of internet/digital communication, things go off the rails way too easily. No nuance, no body language, on expressions…. phone call is often a good solution.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Apparently NOT to Ontario!

Don't fret over this one deal, Rustybee. His final response is all the testimony one needs to assess the fellow's character. Regards, Buff.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't fret over this one deal, Rustybee. His final response is all the testimony one needs to assess the fellow's character. Regards, Buff.

Haha. I had a good chuckle over the last text.
To call someone names is one thing.
To wish ill of someone's rod brings a whole lot of bad mojo. LOL. :D

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
I left the site for a while for same reasons but came back, to many nice people block out the negative!

Bad Mojo coming!!!:tsk_tsk:

Just blow it off and stay positive like in your thread.

KC

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Many exchanges, many sales .. both ways.

Post count, counts. A few questions, a tad of back and forth, and cheque sent. Only once was 'bank clearance' required. I was NOT PLEASED. :saevilw:

In short, 'My world is my Bond.'

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Some people are just not worth the time or effort Rustybee, There was an item put up for sale here a few days ago that I was interested in, I sent a pm and never heard anything back(I was not low balling I just needed to know if it was still available and how they wanted paying) . I have sent an other pm asking if it is still available and again not heard anything. The seller has been on line the last 3 days but still no answer so I am looking to buy elsewhere.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Put their name up, don't need to deal with people of questionable character.
Nah. No need for public flogging. Hopefully he has learnt a lesson in consideration.

As with anything I'm sure there are 2 sides to the story. Maybe his better half freaked out on him when he/she found out about the pending purchase. :chuckle: Was just a little annoyed that he accused me of being rude, without any acknowledgement of his own rudeness by wasting my time. If you know your not going to buy, then let the other party know ASAP so that they don't go around jumping hoops for ya. :cool: For god sake, not everyone's retired and just fishing all day (3 young kids, a wife and a small biz will do that to ya). :D

Haha. Thanks guys. Feel much better now. Water under the bridge. Sorry for the rant... :eek:

Some people are just not worth the time or effort Rustybee, There was an item put up for sale here a few days ago that I was interested in, I sent a pm and never heard anything back(I was not low balling I just needed to know if it was still available and how they wanted paying) . I have sent an other pm asking if it is still available and again not heard anything. The seller has been on line the last 3 days but still no answer so I am looking to buy elsewhere.
WD. I'm told that the Ignore List function will allow the other blocked party to send PMs without messages actually being delivered.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've only done a few transactions here, mostly buying. For the most part they have gone well, to very well, no complaints. I did have a bit of a negative one time as a seller. Got a low ball offer, politely countered with a slight price drop explaining that I really wasn't looking to sell on the cheap. This went back and forth for a bit, and honestly the overall tone just didn't feel positive or respectful and I declined the sale.

Shortly thereafter a different member made reasonable offer and the sale went smooth as butter. Funny thing is that after all that I end up getting a final message from the first guy agreeing to my last offer. In the end I was really glad that I didn't end up dealing with him, and that I was able to make a sale to a member who was happy with what he got at a reasonable price.

I understand a little give and take, some negotiating on price and all that, but some (most?) people just don't get the way it works. It should ***always*** be respectful, and considerate in both directions. Otherwise it's just not worth it, for either party. It should be enjoyable and fun for both, and should end up with one side happy with some good gear, and the other party happy to be able to get reasonable compensation to put towards some other goods.
JB

·
Banned
571 Posts
Been there, had that done to me...

I am in a similar situation, Jason. Mostly bought here, always polite, and I tend to bend over backwards to ensure that I complete my part of the transaction on time. I responded to a WTB post last year. 368 days. Chap wanted a specific rod, I had something close – same rod, slightly different graphics, got to exploring the $ part...then nothing. The fellow sent me a PM not long ago, enquiring about the rod, yes, still available, got to the $ part...then nothing. Again. At this point the chap wouldn’t be able to buy a $5 bill from me for $10.00. I would not want to post the chap’s identity because I don’t know what happened. But I will say the profound lack of courtesy was quite shocking. Cheers, Buff.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I buy and sell here frequently . I've had almost exclusively positive experiences but the negative ones can really linger .
I don't focus on post count , everyone has to start somewhere and my experience has supported that .
I get enough lowball offers when I'm selling that I've come to expect them . I generally respond strongly enough to discourage further discussion in that direction . I'm not wealthy , but I don't need money so badly that I'd give away good tackle and it sometimes seems that the prospective buyers have the idea that I'm looking to get a heroin fix and the first cash offer I get will make me swoon .
I have had trouble with the exchange rates and lost money enough times that I fixed my Paypal account to only accept US currency . However I include that info in my ad for the sake of clarity . In fact that has been the single most helpful thing I've done in my ads . Clarity. Payment method , shipping costs , firm pricing , and no undisclosed info on the piece for sale.
FWIW , it's supposed to be against the rules here to use the gift option on Paypal for a sale . However I don't think it's being enforced since Dana sold the board . It does however remove the buyer protection that is included in a regular payment sale .
I've never had to use previous sales as a reference but in the past I've seen sellers and buyers ask for them . I hope all of my transactions would give me a positive review but I suspect one or two buyers that didn't appreciate my willingness to end the conversation when they started being rude .

This little community is too small to be dumping in your own mess kit , it's in everyone's interest to be at least civil . More is better .

·
Registered
99 Posts
FWIW , it's supposed to be against the rules here to use the gift option on Paypal for a sale . However I don't think it's being enforced since Dana sold the board . It does however remove the buyer protection that is included in a regular payment sale .
Yes....if you use gift option and there's a dispute, you're on your own in terms of PP protection.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
I don't do 'lowball' offers - if I think the price is right, I will offer to buy @ [or very near] the advertised price; if I think the price is too much, then walk on by! Certainly saves any of the above to & fro 'negotiations'....;)

Mike

·
Banned
879 Posts
No nuance, no body language, on expressions….
So very true from what I'm told.
My wife holds a PHD in speech/language and communication disorders and if memory serves I believe she commented that 90% of all communication is non-verbal.
You really need facial expressions, body lingo, etc for better communication.

·
Registered
576 Posts
He'll get his

Karma is a ***** and what comes around goes around mabey not today, tmro, or next month but trust me later on dwn the line it's coming!

·
Registered
730 Posts
rudeness

Rusty,
I taught school for 40 years. Didn't make a lot of money; but, made lots
of people-to-people connections. Discovered that we all have our bad days.
Some folks have a continuous run of bad days; say, for years. The Internet
exacerbates this. As others before me state, no eye contact.
I hope this doesn't sour you on future deals.
Best to ya,
lsteinb

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Good advise all, the issue I had was

1) my word is my bond. If I made an offer to purchase, and the seller goes out of their way to accommodate my shipping deadlines (not to mention absorb extra shipping charges for expedite shipping), I'd be inclined to keep my word.

2) if the seller is POed after I tell him I changed my mind AFTER I made him jump through hoops, I'd understand his frustration and admit to my F**k up and take my lumps like a man. To then call someone a MotherF**ker and wishing he breaks the rod in the ceiling would be so far offside I couldn't even fantom what was going through his little self centered mind.

As to the issue of low ball offers, I don't usually get offended since it's easy to just delete the PM. I've had transactions where low offers are made and trades included to sweeten the pot, resulting in new friends being made. :)

Karma is a ***** and what comes around goes around mabey not today, tmro, or next month but trust me later on dwn the line it's coming!
Don't wish any evil upon him or his rods, bro. :chuckle:
Just hope he learns a lesson in treating others with a little common courtesy.

Rusty,
I taught school for 40 years. Didn't make a lot of money; but, made lots
of people-to-people connections. Discovered that we all have our bad days.
Some folks have a continuous run of bad days; say, for years. The Internet
exacerbates this. As others before me state, no eye contact.
I hope this doesn't sour you on future deals.
Best to ya,
lsteinb
All good. 50+ transaction (buying and selling) here, and this was the first bad egg.

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Ah f**k it Rusty, just tell us who it is. (Just kidding! Sort of...)

BTW I sent you a PM two days ago about that rod and you still haven't responded...:cool:

It's so easy to be a dick when you don't have to look people in the eyes and say it to their face. The internet is simply making it easier for many people to lose their manners.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts