Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have several questions regarding choice of rods and lines for them. I'd really appreciate any input. Please be completely subjective.

Here's the situation. I got a Sage Euro 9wt (14'1", 4-pc) last summer and fished it with Rio's MidSpey multi-tip line 9/10wt on several BC rivers, N Umpqua, and N Cal rivers. I liked the setup fine with a floating tip, but wished that the rod had a stronger butt to handle sink tips with more authority. Even with a floating tip, I felt that the rod's butt was only marginally strong enough to carry the entire belly. After about 30 days of fishing with this setup in various waters, I'm considering adding a shorter 7wt and a longer 10wt. Also, I'm thinking about adding GrandSpey 8/9 to my option, so that I can carry longer line. For the 7wt, I've decided to get a T&T 13' 7wt and rig it with MidSpey 6/7. (Thank you for all those posting on 7wt rods - they, along with frank comments from a fly shop guy, were helpful in making the decision.)

I'm having a bit of problem with choosing a 10wt. Here are my questions.

1. First of all, do I really need a longer 10wt? If I rig my Sage Euro 9wt with MidSpey 8/9, would the rod feel more powerful and handle a sink tip more easily for winter-run fishing? Or should I replace the Sage with another 14' 9wt with a stronger butt? Even the Sage Euro 9wt was powerful enough to subdue a robust 14-15lb summer-run fish on the N Umpqua - seems like a 14' 9wt is strong enough to deal with most fish I might encounter.

2. If I do need (or benefit a lot from) a longer 10wt, say a 15' 10wt, which of Loop and T&T would you recommend? (I hear they have strong butts) Line to rig the rod with? I have cast only Sage Euro 9wt, Trad 9wt(14'), and Trad 7wt, and have found myself liking the Euro best. But, I'm still not too happy with the butt strength of the Euro 9wt. (By the way, my favorite heavy-weight single hand rods are Reddington's Nano-Titanium series, if there's any relevance.) I'd probably use a longer 10wt with a sink tip more than half of the time. I would still like to be able to do spey casts with the rod, though.

3. Should I go with a 14' 10wt instead of 15'? My fly shop guy cautioned me on a 15' rod, saying that fishing with one of those heavy rods may wear me out. I'm only 5'6" and 135lb, although I'm pretty strong. I find fishing with the Euro 9wt a breeze, but he cautioned me that there's a major difference between a 14' 9wt and 15' 10wt - he doesn't really like fishing with a 15' rod himself.

I'd like to hear whatever comments you might have. Thanks!

fishordie

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The 15 foot 2-hander are able to carry more line and pick up line more efficiently than the 14 footers. there is no reason that a 15 ft 10 weight would wear you out or be too hard on you. The key to this is getting a reel that weighs in the 9.5 to 11 oz. range to ballance the extra rod length. If the reel is too light, the 15 foot or longer rods will beat you up, not because they are 15 feet long, but because without sufficient reel weight, they are tip heavy, which forces you to constantly hold up the tip of the rod between casts and during casts as well.

Yes, an 8/9 line on the 9141 Sage will liven it up quite a bit. In fact, I view this rod and the 9140 Sage as more of an 8/9 rod than a 9/10 (as Sage claims).

The T&T 2-handers are faster than the Loop and I would recommend the T&T 1510, which I would load with a 9/10 MidSpey or GrandSpey with tips. If you want to go to a true heavy line 2-hander in the T&T, go with the T&T 1511 or 1611 (I fish the T&T 1611 in winter) and balance it with a 10/11 MidSpey or GrandSpey. However, it sounds like you have more need for a 9/10 weight rod than a 10/11 weght.

You might also consider the Redington 15 ft 10 weight since you mentioned you like your Redington single-handers. Redington makes a very nice 2-hander in the expensive series (price around $750.00) that is a quicker, crisper, stronger butt rod than the SAge you now have. The actions are somewhat reminiscent of the REdington single-hander you have.

G. Loomis makes a superb 15 ft 10 weight in the GLX series; but be forwarned, they are expensive. The GLX's are probably the quickest and lightest 2-handers on the market, and they have a lot of authority in the butt. I would use the 10/11 MidSpey on the GLX 10/11.

CND is also making some very nice 2-handers (Dana and Kush, I've been very impressed with the CND's I cast at the Carnation clave) that would fit the requirements you have.

I almost forgot, the Winston Derek Brown 15 ft 10 weight. A very nice casting, powerful rod. It will run $895.00. It is also a rod that I have been impressed with.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree with flytyer that the G. Loomis GLX 15 feet is one you definitely should check out. It is kind of considered the state-of-the art rod in that weightclass on this side of the Atlantic. From the description of your experiences and rod preferences I am pretty sure that Scandinavian rod styles with faster and more powerful actions would suit you. The GLX are such a great combination of casting performance with feel. From what you say - why not consider shooting head lines for the 10 weight 15 feet?

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts