Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody on this board comment about this rod. Tried the 16' Sage at the Fall City Clave and was not that impressed.
Thanks,
Leroy AKA Speyrd

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Speyrd,

I have owned this rod for the last 6 years and fish it from mid November until June. It is a much faster and stronger rod than Sage 10160. I do not like the Sage 10160; however, the T&T 1611 is a very different rod than the Sage.

The T&T is a true 11 weight rod, the Sage is a true 10 weight rod. This means that the T&T will throw heavier tips and can handle any size fly you wish to cast.

The T&T has a lot of power and can simply power out a Windcutter with tips pretty much regardless of whether you placed the fly properly for a good cast or not, the Sage will not do the same. I used to fish it with a Windcutter with the Windcutter upgrade added (the belly weighed about 1100 grains in its 72 foot length this way); however, I now fish my T&T 1611 exclusively with a 10/11 GrandSpey (with its 100 foot belly) since the line became available this fall. And I fish it with 15 foot long 11 weight tips in floating, type 3, type 6, type 8. and 700 gr. Deep Water Express. And fish from 60 to 135 feet on the Skagit.

If you are looking for a fast, very powerful long 11 weight rod, this is one of three that I have cast which fit the bill. the others are the G.Loomis 15 1/2 11/12 GLX and the CND Thompson Special (which is not quite ready for sale yet).

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just what I wanted to know. Bit the bullet and have one comming from T&T. Are you going to be at Kaufman's Spey days? Will try and find you so we can talk more.
Thanks again.
Leroy....................

·
Registered
22 Posts
Speaking of the CNDs, how close are they to being generally released over here? I saw a few small pictures of them on a Japanese website and they looked great, kind of like Daiwas (which I guess makes sense). Were the rods in the recent auction demos, or were they production models?

JE

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
CND Auction Rods

The rods in our fundraiser auction were production models, the Custom Spey MKII. I understand from Nobuo that details for NA distribution are being ironed out and the rods should be available over here later this spring.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flytyer, Sorry I didn't get your message soon enough, we headed out of Portland Friday aftrenoon. If you are going to Marlow's Clave, we can compair notes there as I should have the rod by then.
Leroy AKA Speyrd

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Speyrd,

Since I live in Mount Vernon and Rockport is only 45 to 50 minutes away, I will be at Marlow's clave at the steelhead park. I'm certain you are going to like the rod as much as I like mine.

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Hello Speyrd,

The T&T 16' is the by far best heavy duty double hander I know of. While Underhand casting it delivers a #13 45' feet superfast sinking head and a 2 1/2" copper tube miles out in the river. Still it is not an overly a stiff rod - the butt has enough flex to make the fish fights safe and enjoyable.

This also means that one can use it later in the season when floating or intermediate lines and finer leaders are called for. On a big river distance sometimes must overrule finesse - here the the T&T 16' makes for a reasonable compromise. I have an old #13 SA Supreme Floating head that sails further than any other floater I have - with 20' of leader it delivers small flies without scaring too many fish off. This then in the "outer lane" where one often is without competition.

Save Nobuo's rods I think I have tried most of the rods in this category - some, like the GLX 15'6" are close but a tad too stiff, although lighter in weight. If you go for the T&T you will not regret it.

Good luck,
Per

1 - 10 of 10 Posts