Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's trending below even last years numbers.
94 over Bonneville yesterday, 100 day before that, that's like 60-70% of where we were at this time during last years dismal run (I'm not doing the math).

·
Registered
32 Posts
as I never look at the steelhead counts.....but now I did..... regarding this post....:
the Swiss steelhead aficionado will once again head over the pond to enjoy some beautiful days on the Columbia tributaries.

looking at early November (probably can't go sooner) for like 2+ weeks I really don't care how many fish are around as long as C&R fishing is open.
But yeah, for everyone that's desperately hoping that the black line shoots up asap, I also hope that people do get a positive vibe soon.

For me its just enjoyment and catching is a bonus but in all honesty, I had my grinds as well last fall. A golden day on the Klickitat saved it all. in terms of catching at least.

Regards everyone and yeah, as always maybe see you on the swing run in November..... ;-)
chocolates are always with me....

·
Banned
1,310 Posts
Yep, looks real bad. Only getting worse, too.

You all might as well stay on your couches like last year. ;) ;) ;)

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
Unless things markedly and miraculously improve, I won't be fishing this year. Just can't justify it anymore at this point. I'll be swinging for trout and smallies.

·
CNYN WRN
12 Posts
That’s the ticket right there... going to the mountains, going to the rivers. Bring the favorite 2-hander, a friend and your dog - the rest, when it happens, is just frosting. Or, chocolate.

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
It sure seems like the Columbia and tribs are suffering greatly in the numbers dept the last few years.
I wish I was more of an optimist, but I don't see how it's not going to keep getting worse. Nothing is changing from a management perspective. Hell, people I know who are supposedly conservation minded are still "selling" the summer Columbia steelhead fishery with their posts on Instagram. I'm over the romance for free crap when our fish are going extinct. The dams (especially on the Snake), the slack-water invasives, hatcheries, and the ocean conditions are just a perfect storm. Not going to change fast enough, especially with a government that will always choose profit first. I'm focusing on bass fishing right now, basically because I'm sick of being so sad and depressed about it all the time. I hope everyone donates to the organizations that are working to save this fishery.

·
Banned
501 Posts
While dammed Columbia river is doing poorly, free flowing Alaskan rivers are doing much better.
So far two major river like Yukon and Kuskokwim ( twice bigger then Skeena) on the west are having one of the best Chinook runs in 25+ year. The only better are 2003-2005 runs.

Below are graphs for these two major rivers. In Yukon it is based on sonar counting, while on Kusko is based on fish test in Bethel near Bearing Sea. Some major Kuskokwim tributary located further upstream and in lower drainage ( size of Bulkley or bigger) are already confirming the run ( sonar or weir counting). Good News draining directly to Bearing Sea so far has the best run in 25 years. So far Sockeye in Bristol Bay and Cooper have at least average run.

Attachments

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
While dammed Columbia river is doing poorly, free flowing Alaskan rivers are doing much better.
So far two major river like Yukon and Kuskokwim ( twice bigger then Skeena) on the west are having one of the best Chinook runs in 25+ year. The only better are 2003-2005 runs.

Below are graphs for these two major rivers. In Yukon it is based on sonar counting, while on Kusko is based on fish test in Bethel near Bearing Sea. Some major Kuskokwim tributary located further upstream and in lower drainage ( size of Bulkley or bigger) are already confirming the run ( sonar or weir counting). Good News draining directly to Bearing Sea so far has the best run in 25 years. So far Sockeye in Bristol Bay and Cooper have at least average run.
I guess all of us PNWers just need to get rich so we can go fish where there are still fish.

·
Banned
501 Posts
My point was that a natural habitat is very important.

Yukon and Kuskokwim watersheds are huge and very remote territory, mostly occupied by natives in a handful of small villages scattered here and there, and accessible by boat or plane with very little sport fishing going on. Even if you are rich, unless you have family or friends living there, know the area by fishing there for many years with Grizzlies, know how to operate jets lead in a very tight space !!!!!!, ( gravel bars, logs etc. ) you are not going to do well anyway.

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
My point was that a natural habitat is very important.

Yukon and Kuskokwim watersheds are huge and very remote territory, mostly occupied by natives in a handful of small villages scattered here and there, and accessible by boat or plane with very little sport fishing going on. Even if you are rich, unless you have family or friends living there, know the area by fishing there for many years with Grizzlies, know how to operate jets lead in a very tight space !!!!!!, ( gravel bars, logs etc. ) you are not going to do well anyway.
I hear you man. I know there is more to it than just getting there. I'm just saying it's really tough to watch the fish that I can easily reach on a shoestring budget go extinct, which is just putting more pressure on the places where they aren't. Baring a big shift the only steelheading I'll be doing this fall is going to involve a lot more time, money, and distance to reach, not to mention me adding more pressure to other fisheries. I'm still excited to do it, at least some day even if it doesn't work out this year. It's been a dream of mine to go north and fish for years. Still, I try to be respectful of others and the fact that it's someone's local water. I don't want to be that goober standing in your run in the morning. I just want to be able leave work a little early on Friday and stand in my home river, catch a steelhead, and sleep in my rig under the stars. I know so many people who do the big trip to BC every year and I feel like it's getting more and more popular, basically because we have no fish left down here.

·
Banned
501 Posts
In AK waters, Aleutian and Bearing Sea, Chinook and chum salmon bycatch has tripled since 2006 to 2011 or so. About 4-5 years ago by catch reduction was implemented to improve the management of Chinook and chum salmon bycatch in the Bering Sea pollock fishery. This definitely had a positive effect on returns, especially King Salmon. Also, there is a very few anglers in Kuskokwim and Yukon watershed and harvest is limited to 1 ( one ) King only. A reduction in subsistence fishing was also generally obeyed by Yupik Eskimos and Alaskan Athabascans Indians.

·
Tyler
28 Posts
I'm curious what is with that big spike in March this year. That seems pretty odd too. I'd like to see a comparison of total fish. Probably still low, but maybe not quite as low as the right end of the graph suggests?

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
I'm curious what is with that big spike in March this year. That seems pretty odd too. I'd like to see a comparison of total fish. Probably still low, but maybe not quite as low as the right end of the graph suggests?
Likely out-migrating fish, many of which are reconditioned kelts or 2018 fish that over wintered in the lower Columbia and completed their run to spawn in the spring.

We are well behind last year which was the worst return in decades.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts