Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has any particular hot colors for late winter and spring steelies.

·
Registered
141 Posts
black, purple, pink and orange. those colors will get you through all year where i fish. your mileage may very. :roll:

·
Registered
33 Posts
As I live in the Pacific NW I like purple, purple, and purple.

Did I mention I like purple?

(And combinations of Salmon, Pink, and Orange, too *g*)

Igor

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
one year purple worked well, another claret, last year it was orange at least for me oh and pink can be hot black is nice on those days when the river is colored up or it seems that way red works well sometimes a friend has a secret fly that has a lot of yellow in it he will pull it out when nothing else is working never tried anything mostly green but i guess it could work also

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I'm with Kerry on this one. My three color patterns are purple with a bit of red, black with a bit of purple and orange with a bit of red. I have caught 90% of steelhead caught on one of these three! Of course, 90% of all my fishing is done with one of the three so go figure :hihi: In reality, I don't think it makes too much difference.

Pick something you have confidence in and fish it. The only fly a fish hits is the one in the water.

·
Registered
869 Posts
since no one else has mentioned it i would vote for white. i have never fished out west for steelhead, but here in the GL area white is one of the top colors. usualy it is a baitfishy type pattern, but even white traditional type speys work well. i would have to say that the majority of the steelhead i have caught in the past ten years were on predominatly white flies. anyone out west have any experience with white?

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I use mainly blue and black and green and black. So we almost have every color in the rainbow covered for you :)

As far as white it is not a color fished much out west but I am sure it would work just fine. I did fish some white patterns Charlie sent me some but never really fished them hard enough to give them a fair shake. I have been reading about the GL fisheries and do find the prevelance of baitfish type patterns intriguing. I wonder if the fish are that much different or just the tying influences anglers in each locale have to go by. Going to try and fish them a littel harder this year on my trips out West and see how it goes. Any standards you would reccomend?

-sean

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I'm pretty much an "any color is good as long as it's purple" guy, however I have found a good winter color combo here on the Clearwater is black with some fl blue on the front.

·
Registered
27 Posts
long thought that color was the least important factor in getting a steelhead to bite. generally on the rivers i fish i tend to use black, black/blue, and purple on the upper and middle reaches. on lower and tidewater i'll often use hot orange, hot pink or fl.red patterns. recently fished a smaller coastal stream with fishing partner who used a "fleshy'' fly that was mainly white. he caught several fish on a tough day for most other anglers. got me to rethink my fly selection a bit and am now adding some white and light pink flies to my kit.

-juwels werum

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
yo JerD

i fish mostly black colors year 'round. i do add some accent colors, mostly purple, white and chartruese. my favorite is black with some gold. the fish key in on some bling. but then again, i fish in the ghetto.

G

·
Registered
267 Posts
Top colors seem to be black, orange, chartreuse, or purple. Or these colors in combination. Black and orange seem to have done well recently. While black and chartreuse seem to be the combo that worked well last year?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sean i would have to say the bunny spey in white and purple has been the most consistant producer, pretty much a somewhat speyed zonker. another would be a popsicle type in white with a collar of silver pheasant or teal- something barred.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
dark peacock

is my go-to color when they are on the run thru `here' to the redds,this fly is tied with a dark peacock feather for all hackle/tail/wing,but i admit to doing about as well with an olive hairwing,,very surprising to say the least since the hairwing is SOOOO much easier to build:roll:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Orange (always with some contrasting color like grey spey hackle on Glasso's Orange Heron or the red GP breast feathers of a General Practioner), Hot pink and orange, black with yellow, black with red, red and royal blue, yellow and orange, hot pink and purple, black and purple, royal blue and purple, yellow and claret, and yellow and red are the colors I use in winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts