Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've passed up this pattern numerous times in the Farlows book. It seemed way too gaudy and the white silver pheasant throat just did not complement the other colors in my eyes.

However, the Colonel did fancy it enough that he submitted a worn fly for Farlows to catalogue. That's gotta prove something, eh?

In my world, steelhead will eat anything. I figure the contrasting throat will just be another instigator. This one has been tied for someone wanting a winter dryline fly.

Feather Liquid Art Natural material Electric blue

Cap Feather Creative arts Hat Eyewear

Insect Vision care Sunglasses Arthropod Pollinator

I had trouble with the angle of the natural lighting inside the house, hence the offset pics (maybe I'll try outside this morning after I get home from work).

Cheers and Blessings,
Adrian

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,677 Posts
Well the snow flew this morning here in my neck of the woods, got 6" of the stuff for my bride's birthday :LOL:
That is a wonderful flee brother!!

Mike
Today is also my wife's birthday Mike. Happy birthday to Mrs. Mike!

A wonderful flee. Not sure why you would avoid that one Adrian??

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A fabulous bit of tying there my friend. Your body of work is remarkable

Dave
Thanks so much Dave. - from a huge fan

Fantastic. I think those colors would work well here once the snow starts to fly.
Great winter colors, yah? Reminds me of McMillan's fly

Well the snow flew this morning here in my neck of the woods, got 6" of the stuff for my bride's birthday :LOL:
That is a wonderful flee brother!!

Mike
A lot of snow...time to cuddle with the birthday bride. Cheers, Mike.

Today is also my wife's birthday Mike. Happy birthday to Mrs. Mike!

A wonderful flee. Not sure why you would avoid that one Adrian??
It finally drew me in, Dan. The white silver pheasant just didn't seem to complement the other colors. If the throat was orange or blue or maybe even yellow...it would have been more pleasant in my eyes. But no doubt still a fish catcher in its originality.

I finally succumbed to my curiosity wondering if I could make a less desirable pattern pretty to the angler's eyes. I also wanted to use silver pheasant - as very few classic patterns call for that feather.

Glad you like, my friend. I think it will fish well.

Damn, Adrian.

Sometimes your artistry bleepin’ amazes me!

Shaking my head……
Keith, you must have poured 4 fingers instead of two...the fly is not that great. 😄. Just kidding, amigo...I do appreciate your kind comments. Cheers!

P.S. Mike and Dan, you should PM each other on what to get your wives for their birthdays next year...maybe a guided trip with Mr. Kruk on the Columbia?

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,677 Posts
P.S. Mike and Dan, you should PM each other on what to get your wives for their birthdays next year...maybe a guided trip with Mr. Kruk on the Columbia?
I'm in! My wife already wants to go with me next time. Good times with the @fisshman26 on the Columbia!

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tim, Gero, Jake, George: Thanks for the support. The real test is to hook a steelhead on this pattern. Cheers!

Dan, the Missus is gonna need her own rod: bamboo or a Gaelforce at the least. (And no Coors light for her...or else we might have to hear Harrington go off on one of his stories again :LOL:)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Looks like a cross between a Winter's Hope and a Kingfisher Blue by Walt Johnson, perhaps because of the silver pheasant collar.
Kingfisher Blue is a fine pattern for summer runs back east here....Great job on an awkward pattern sir....
Sometimes those sleeper patterns save the day!

Happy holidays to all!
Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts