Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend was my first of the fall spent chasing coho. In my four years here on Van Isle these fish have continued to be challenging to put it mildly :confused: . As seen in the recent post by Hisgarness asking for coho help, these fish are very moody and require special techniques. This is also my first year with the skagit line system. This weekend on the Stamp the springs were getting a little dark and stale but fortunately waves of bright coho more than made up for that. I was armed with my 9140 (greenie) and the 550 grain RIO Skagit Line. This rig was really well matched to the job at hand. I could have used a lighter system but with the chance of hooking into some sizable springs I liked having the extra power of the larger rod. The skagit line was great as it allowed me to strip the fly in the slower water. I’ve tried tons of techniques for these pesky fish but this is my best producer. I think for those wanting to catch coho with a double hander this is a great way to go. I could retrieve my fly right into the belly of the line and then quickly feed it back as I was setting my anchor. Most of my time was spent with a 15 foot tip and small streamers like Mickey Finns. That said with the skagit line I was able to easily adapt to different water conditions by using various tips including T14. Of course even heavy flies like Clousers were no problem. The only down point I encountered was the nasty grove I wore in my fingers from stripping line all weekend. Looks like I’ll have to talk to the beach fishermen for a solution to that. With the double hander I was able to cover more water and had my most successful coho trip to the Stamp yet. Anyways just wanted to share with anyone else working on solutions to frustrating coho.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
No fun having your fingers bleeding all over your tackle. Here are couple of things I've gleaned from the beach experts:

1. Duct Tape. Yep, duct tape.

2. Medical tape: There are several brands that are designed to stick to themselves without adhesives. I use one used by horse vets to wrap horse legs. I'll look up the brand.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Finger Protection

For stripping-finger(s) protection I came across this product which works. Fished two straight days stripping for 5+ hours each day with absolutely no trauma to my fingers when I finished. It's called "Stripee" made by Alpine Innovations LLC (toll free 1-866-489-6788; P.O. Box 101, American Fork, Utah 84003). It fits over the index and middle fingers, protects your fingers, conditions/cleans the line, and looks made well enough to last a long time. Cool. $ 8.00.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
I use what is usually described as "hockey tape". It's elastic so you have full mobility, and most importantly porous, so your skin can breath and doesnt' get even softer, making a cut more likely after you take it off. Second choice for me is atheletic tape, you know, the kind they use for taping ankles, etc. once again more breathable than duct, or electric tape, but not as flexible as hockey tape. both of these have been lifesavers on week long salt trips, where those using duct tape had pale, sickly looking shriveled fingers :hihi:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great suggestions to protect my fingers. I'll have lots to try next time I get out. I wish it was this weekend but my wife has other plans. Have any of you tried a little skagit rig off the beach for coho? I've fished some beaches with limited back cast room and was wondering how it would work. My only concern would be that the heavier fly line might spook fish as it touched down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wouldn't gardening toughen up those fingers a bit, Stampsteelie?? :)

(In all seriousness, I'm only envious of your fishing hours while I take care of my rugrats.... Next time we go I'll bring the hockey tape for the fingers)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr Mom, you'd better be spending lots of time playing "airplane" with the rugrats in order to build upper body strength.... cause you're going to need it on the Thompson!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Problem with the grooves on your finger from stripping.

1. change the finger that u use or move the line to a different part of your finger.
2. tape

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fresh Water Coho On The Fly

Can't speak to the Skagit lines yet, but as to the Coho I recommend reading BeBop's response to my associated plea. Little opportunity to apply his knowledge this year in my neighborhood. The rivers moved from very low levels to high & dirty and staying there. I believe that a return to the single hander is good advice when stripping is the charge. Thanks to all w/ finger saving advise - - - love this site.

Garry

·
JD
3,641 Posts
forget what the're called

There are some things that look like mini condoms (no kidding) available over the counter at your local pharmacy. They come in a pack of assorted sizes to fit about half way down each finger. I forget what they are called. They are made of latex. Intended for paper cuts and minor knife cuts aquired by food services professionals.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
MINI CONDOMS??????????????

Is that what those are.......cripes....I have been using those as regulars all these years........ :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Oh well ...............now I have another use for them too :saeek:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
There is also a product that can be found at the drugstores and in the same area with bandaides in most of the lage department stores that works very well. I forget the name of it; but I've been using it for 3 years ever since I saw them in a store. They are made of spandex and nylon, have several different sizes in the box for your different fingers or size of fingers, are open on both ends, cover about 1/2 of your finger and because of being open on both ends they can be placed pretty near anywhere on the fingers, and they last a long time (which is why I don't remember the name of the product.

Take a look around the larger drug stores or department store bandaide area. I got the ones I have now at the drug area of an Albertson's grocery store.

You could also get a pair of the half-finger stipping gloves or sun-blocker gloves. They'd protect your fingers too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts