Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

Thought it interesting that Loomis is debuting a new Trout spey in their (ridiculously named) StreamDance Metolius lineup. I know nothing about it but thought it might interest you.

My question is about the CND Expert Trout spey, the 1306. Does this rod have the same grip configuration as the other rods in the series, ie, same taper and length of cork, same fighting butt, only a different reelseat? I would be disappointed to learn it was different, and I am on the point of buying one now.

Thanks,
Zach

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
It is the same configuration as the other CNDs. A real sweetheart of a rod.

Interesting that the HOT new thing is a trout spey rod with the rod manfacturers.

Funny how the biggest complaint I here on this board is the lack of a true 14-15 foot 8 weight, not for a trout rod. Apparently the pleas are falling on dead ears....

-sean

PS: I took care of that double post for you. No problem.

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sean. I am guessing it is people like me who are driving this market. I looked and looked for a trout spey to learn on. Look at it this way, no more than half of flyfishers have access to a steelhead run or salmon water, but we all see the Spey rods discussed and their merits expounded. I wanted a trout spey for covering more water and especially for help mending line. Others I am sure feel the same, and they are providing an opportunity for manufacturers in slim years to sell a few novelty rods at high margin.

Zach

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
For Years a Trout-Speyrods have been in development.

I own a number of them one, which take a double taper 4 wt. and it 11.5 feet long.
I had it custom rolled and built for me a quite some expense.

There are a number of 6 weights and one 5 weight.

Most large trout water will lend them self well to he 6# or 5#
I have fished The Yellowstone with hoppers with a 11.5’ 6wt and had fun catching 6 to 8 inch Searun Cutthroats on the same rod.

Good Beginner rod is the CND13 ‘ Expert 6/7 and at price brake that you can not beat.

The rod loads with an about 330 grains over 54 feet.
I have thrown some 6 wt 28ft heads in playing with it as Underhand rod.

:smokin:

I have client that just returned for Alaska where CND1306 EXPERT was used for Red Salmon, Pinks and Lots of large Rainbows.

:devil:

·
Registered
212 Posts
speying for trout

A few years ago I bought the Scott ARC 11'9" 6wt and then extended the handle by 3" to create 'my' 12'6wt trout spey rod. Would not like to nymph all day with it, but it is a wonderful streamer rod. In addition to the mending qualities I find the more important attribute of being able to fish in places I could not with a single-hander. For example, when I fished Rock Creek(MT) last spring there were some nice runs, but unforunately these spots were not hospitible to wading more than a couple feet into the stream and directly behind me a rock formation rose at about 60degrees up at least 50feet. With spey moves I could get the Rio Mid-Spey6/7 out 45-50 feet and swing my bugger as I two-stepped the run. Didn't catch a lot of fish, but felt rather smug that I was covering a lot of water I couldn't have covered any other way.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Sean,

We're listening :smokin:

sean said:

Funny how the biggest complaint I here on this board is the lack of a true 14-15 foot 8 weight, not for a trout rod. Apparently the pleas are falling on dead ears....

-sean

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
An unabashed 'plug' here for one of our Spon's.

Don't forget that Meiser builds a sweet heart of a 5/6 wt 'switch cast' rod for trout fishing. A delightful rod to put it mildly.
fae

1 - 7 of 7 Posts