Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe if we show Juro there is enough interest in these he will make them available in the U.S. :)

I have a 1307 SP already so I think I would be most interested in the Speytracker 5/6/7 12' 2".

Come on everyone. Tell Juro!!!!

·
Banned
161 Posts
Add Me to the List

I think the 12'2 would make a fine addition to my quiver.

I didn't know there was a 13'3". How does it compare to the 1307 Custom? I have a 1308 Custom and am looking to replace my Sage 7136 brownie.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Add Me to the List

JGS said:
I think the 12'2 would make a fine addition to my quiver.

I didn't know there was a 13'3". How does it compare to the 1307 Custom? I have a 1308 Custom and am looking to replace my Sage 7136 brownie.
At the recent SpeyDays on the Skykomish Nobuo had with him the 12'2" for folks to try out, but I don't know if he had the 13'3" there or not. Ryan, was that rod there too?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Just got back in tonight... so thanks for patience as I catch up a bit.

Thanks for the keen interest in these rods. I have to say I've shared that interest myself since I first cast one at the Denver trade show last year.

Keep the comments coming and we'll keep them in mind with new product decisions ahead for North America. ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His knees are bucling...

OK Speygods, here's your chance. Juro is opening the door 'just a crack'. He's waiting to see if you push it all the way open.

PUSH!!!!

Now can you really live with yourself if you don't add one of these light spey rods "..to your quiver" (as JGS puts it) this year? I mean, what else are you going to do with your hard-earned money?

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
D Loop, et al...

To a good number of us, the only thing we have to go on with rods like the spey tracker are comments fellows like you make who have cast them, as we have no access to them. The interest would grow with a bit of information and comparison. I, for one, am interested in a light 13 footer, a 6 or 7 wt., for steelhead in the medium sized river I live near. Guys here are fishing Andersons and Sages. Tell us about this rod, why you are so interested in seeing it on the market, and how it compares to other like rods. What is so special about it?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Light Rods

Howdy Moose,

If you like the Expert 1409 test drive the 1306. I think you will be quite impressed with it. Plus, it is readily available. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Re: D Loop, et al...

Moose said:
Tell us about this rod, why you are so interested in seeing it on the market, and how it compares to other like rods. What is so special about it?
Hi Moose, a fair question for sure.

The options available in the light-weight trout spey category are limited. Lots of options for Salmon and Steelhead fishing.

Last week I took my CND 1307 out on to a large trout stream here in Washington state (Yakima). Even with a short Loop Adapted head (a great combo for that Rod for summer steelheading/smaller salmon BTW) it is just too much for that river and size fish (12" - 20" trout). But it did convince me how effective a spey rod could be on this river. I believe the 1306 would also be too much rod for this river.

So for options I will be evaluating three Meiser Spey Rods (11'4", 11'6", and 13'). I've tried the Sage 5120. But based on the reviews from folks that casted the CND SpeyTracker a couple weeks ago (which is all I have to go on myself) I believe this rod could be a fit for the Yakima--lighter/smaller than the 1306. And, I have not found a CND rod that I do not like, so I think it is entirely possible I end up with both a Meiser and the smaller SpeyTracker.

I'd like the opportunity to eval then buy it anyway. Does that help convey where I'm coming from Moose?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Moose...

I believe the 1306 would also be too much rod for this river.
The best way to find out if the Expert 1306 is to much rod for "your" river is to try one out. I have customers that tell me that coupled with a WC 5/6 floating spey line the Expert 1306 is one sweet fishing trout outfit. There are no steelhead where these people fish. I have one idling on the lot if you want to take a test drive and see for yourself. "Friendly observation with no obligation".

Maybe those Yak fish DLoop found were just weak sisters.
:devil:

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
spey tracker

So, if I've got this right, what we're talking about here is an actual trout rod (albeit a 12' 2 hander) that we can fish as a traditional spey rod that will suit light lines, trout sized game and work modest size waters? Sounds like we have taken this spey thing into a very specialized corner here. I like it. I would be very interested in hearing how this rod fishes in varying circumstances. Could be the next big thing. I am new to this but have been talking to local spey guys here for a few months, and have heard that no one here really fishes smaller than a 6/7 weight, but this in waters where 5 weight single handed rods are common for half pounder steelhead and shad.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Ok, Ok, I am starting to come on board. Though I mainly use my Spey Rods for trout, I have limited their use to swinging flies in steelheads like situations. In reality the rods that I fish are too heavy for the fish (though often too light for the Montana wind and streamers I wish to cast.) I have also been pretty quick to say that maybe speyrods aren't terribly uselful for other trout fishing situations.

Well, I was fished the Madison a few days ago (looking over my shoulder hoping no one saw my bad casting:) ) with a single handed rod. I certainly was in a few situations where a two hander could have been not only fun, but probably as, or yes fine I admit it, more effective than the 9' rod I was useing. While I dislike fishing shot on spey rods and nymphing, the reach and line control would be a big asset. The two hander would not suit how I fish in a lot of places, but for high sticking seams and riffles, it would be a lot of fun.

I see a good number of other anglers speyfishing in the fall, though most are just practicing for steelheading, with their steelhead rods. I can't say I have seen a two hander around here other than that, but times will change. Maybe the Speytracker 5 wt isn't a viable product to sell right now, but until more of these rods are introduced and put into people's hands, there won't be a market. CND can take a bold step now, or play catch up when others make the first move. Maybe the gamble will pay off.

I hope you had a pleasant vacation Juro!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Great potential here in the Midwest

..both for trout and small stream steelhead, not to mention smallmouth bass and carp. That 12'2" 5/6/7 could be just the ticket in Michigan. As it is, I'll probably have to save up the dough and give one of the Meiz's sticks a go. They're just not known here, so the market is wide open.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Any idea (Juro?)

on the size info on the other two. With the Custom blank material and taper, I could see market for a trout rod in the 11'3" 5/6 area?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Spey Tracker Specs

Type Length Line Pc Wt.grm Price
Single Hand + 2.5" EXT 9'6" 5/6/7 3 120g \48.000
Single Hand + 2.5" EXT 9'8" 6/7/8 3 125g \48.000
Semi Double Hand Spey 12'2" 5/6/7 3 160g \54.000
Semi Double Hand Spey 13'3" 6/7/8 3 180g \58.000

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WOW, Juro Look at all this momentum....:)

MJC, I will try the 1306 on the Yakima. The trout there are great fighters, I just seem to catch small versions.

One thing I forgot to mention is a subtle, but important thing for me. I love the rhythm and calming nature that spey casting provides me. I have a stressful job, and I go fishing to relax I find I can relax so much more when I spey cast, when compared to overhand casting.

This a small thing perhaps, but it is important to me. So when I'm on a good size trout stream I'd like to be speycasting there too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts