Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more about a line for the Spey Tracker than the rod itself. I had my Spey Tracker along with me at the Sandy River Spey Clave last month and took advantage of the opportunity to try another line on it.

I made the mistake of trusting to memory which line I liked so well. I can say that it was light blue, and I thought is was an Airflo size 6. Since the Airflow lines now come in mint green and white, it would have been the prior model Airflo - or, I don't recall if the line was all blue, or a blue belly with orange running line, which could have been the Hardy Mach I. It never occurred to me at the time that I wouldn't remember if the line was all one color or not.

I was advised to post the question here and see if others have the rod, or used it, and with which lines. A point worth noting would be whether the Airflo line just changed color, or also changed other attributes, such that a current model in green might not perform the same way as the blue one did.

Thanks for any input.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lines

Hey Salmo G - how was the Cow this weekend? Did your Tracker get some exercise?

My favorite line for the Tracker is light blue - it's the Hardy Mach 1 Spey 8/9wt. :rolleyes:

The only other blue speyline I know of is the Carron Jetstream, and since it's quite a bit heavier than the Tracker would enjoy I'm guessing you tried the Hardy.

Can't wait till those big cutts get in there thick - a perfect fish for the Tracker IMHO.

Good Fishing,

Brian

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
The Airflo Delta lines have been Mint Green since before 2002. The Mach 1 8/9 does cast very nice on the Spey Tracker.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Salmo G,

That line was the Hardy Mach 1 8/9.

I have a 482 gr Skagit Line that Ed Ward designed for the Spey Tracker - it is great, I use it both with a floating tip and Poly leaders.

As well a 5/6 Mid Spey is a good match

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I think I'll get that Hardy Mach I, then. If it casts as well on the stream as it did on the grass at the Spey Clave, it should prove to be lots of fun.

Doublespey,

The Cowlitz was fishing well at 3,450 cfs, but the summer run is rather poor this year compared to recent years. The smolt plant two years ago was less than half the usual due to some equipment malfunction. However, there are a lot of cutthroat for so early in the season, and they were a pleasant distraction on the Spey Tracker.

Phil and Sean didn't seem to care too much for one of my favorite runs, which is a nice long piece of water on the high bank side. I think it's a natural for the two handed rod, but there isn't much room for a D loop behind you. But easy roll casting effectively covers about two hundred yards of good holding water.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Hey now I liked that run plenty :)

Just should have brought a different rod as the 95' belly xlt and the 16' solstice made that run tough. Next time I float it though I am hitting that thing up but will bring something a little more up to the task. That run has some potential and was one I have always missed noticing.

-sean

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
salmo_g said:
Phil and Sean didn't seem to care too much for one of my favorite runs, which is a nice long piece of water on the high bank side. I think it's a natural for the two handed rod, but there isn't much room for a D loop behind you. But easy roll casting effectively covers about two hundred yards of good holding water.

Salmo g.
I liked it fine for the first 80yds or so and managed a good 65 foot casting distance, but as the wall got closer behind me, and the shallow ledge next to the deep water got narrower (read that as less than 12 inches), the sound of my line and my fly got louder and louder in my ear. Finally I felt water on my cheek during one cast. I took that as the spey gods telling me it was time to stop :D Besides when someone who takes you to a spot pulls out of the run and says "that's good water... you keep on going...", well... :saevilw:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the way I fish

Phil,

It is good water, and I was fishing my way through it. You may have noticed that I was closing the gap between us. I fish a little faster through a run than a lot of people, and I didn't want to crowd you. Besides, the golden goodness of corn and beer in the cooler was calling to me. I've fished it down quite a ways further, but then I ain't no stylish caster either. I was using my beater rod last time I was there, and I multi-task, whacking the brush away as I go with the rod. As you noticed, I couldn't knock the limb-sized pieces out of the way, however.

I can't decide where to try this weekend, with the holiday and all.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
salmo_g said:
Phil,

I can't decide where to try this weekend, with the holiday and all.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
Close to home, and early is my normal holiday approach

1 - 9 of 9 Posts